Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 3 months ago

I need help with physics homework?

A 45 kg object sits on top of a 200 m high cliff on the surface of the Earth. Acceleration of gravity is the standard value , rounded to the nearest tenth)

A) If the reference line is at the bottom of the cliff, how much GPE does the object possess?

B) If the reference line is at top of the cliff, how much GPE does the object possess?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • oubaas
    Lv 7
    3 months ago
    Best Answer

A) If the reference line is at the bottom of the cliff, how much GPE does the object possess?

GPE = m*g*(h-ho) = 45*(200-0)*9.8/1000 = 88.200 kjoule

B) If the reference line is at top of the cliff, how much GPE does the object possess?

zero , since h-ho is zero

• 3 months ago

GPE = m * g * h

I will use 9.8 m/s^2 for the acceleration due to gravity.

GPE = 45 * 9.8 * 200 = 88,200 J

If the reference line is at top of the cliff, h is 0 meters. The means the GPE is 0 joule. I hope this is helpful for you.

• 3 months ago

In a homogenous gravitational field g, the gravitational potential energy of a mass m, at height h above its reference level, is mgh.

• 3 months ago

A 45 kg object sits on top of a 200 m high cliff on the surface of the Earth. Acceleration of gravity is the standard value , rounded to the nearest tenth) A) If the reference line is at the bottom of the cliff, how much GPE does the object possess? B) If the reference line is at top of the cliff, how much GPE does the object possess

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.