Will US customs know which countries I’ve been to?

I lost my Indian passport in India and I had a Chinese visa inside. I reported it as lost and received a new one. My question is will US customs know where I’ve been on my new passport?

Favorite Answer

Maybe, maybe not. Why does it matter?

Once you return to the US, CBP will ask you where you have been and for what purpose. If you have been to China, just say so.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
    • Jenny

And going into the UK, it was more like, hey great friend, America, this is a formality, I hope you have a great time.

Coming into the US, I've just been waived through.

• james

If they look at your passport yes. Unless you entered & left illegally.

• RICK

Customs does not care

Immigration might care and because of the biometrics in your passport they know

• Siva6 months agoReport

Thanks for your comment. However, my old Indian passport is not a biometric passport. Will they still be able to see where I’ve been if I present to them my new passport?

Of course they know! You're "in the 'puter," so to speak. They can access all your visas, travel records, etc. Including North Korea.

Does it matter? Any visa/immigration violation (e.g. overstay or anything else), criminal record, etc, matters a very great deal. Completely clean, law-abiding records? Probably no impact at all.

BTW, it's immigration officials, not customs. Customs is the desk where they check your baggage.

• Siva6 months agoReport

Hi. I want to point out that my old passport I lost was not a biometric passport. Will they still know where I’ve been on my new passport?

• Foofa

Your new passport is tied to your old passport via biometrics, so yeah, they know.

• Siva6 months agoReport

I don't understand why it matters. Americans go to China all the time. I even went there. And yea, I had a Chinese visa in my passport because I went to China, since we need one when we go there, so it was like, bam in their face, when they opened up my passport, not just a measly stamp. And customs guy immediately saw it, and said, I see you went to China, and then asked if I ate chicken feet there. I told them it got served to us multiple times, but I couldn't try it, it looked too gross. Customs guy laughed and said, "welcome home." And that was literally all they asked me about it.

• Jenny

They won't even care.