promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

If you know everything about how to operate a plane/helicopter, but you’ve never flown one. Could you just get into one and fly it?

26 Answers

Relevance
  • Sky
    Lv 7
    10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Not without great risk of crashing. It's unlikely that your flight simulator would be an exact replica of the particular plane you're trying to fly, and certainly no book is going to teach you about that specific aircraft. No flight simulator can teach you the real world, seat-of-the-pants feel to flying to understand exactly how the aircraft handles. You'd have to know all about weather to know you're not headed into a towering cumulus (which may develop into a thunderstorm) or severe icing conditions. You'd have to know all the regulations to follow, especially if you're flying in controlled airspace. You'd have to know what frequencies to tune in to talk to someone and know if there's any air traffic around to see and avoid. You'd have to know what all the various aircraft speeds are: stall speeds, maneuvering speed, minimum control airspeed (more pertinent with twin engine planes in case of engine failure), landing speeds, etc. You'd need to know how to handle any emergencies that come up. And you'd have to know how to do a proper approach, flare, and landing without smashing the plane up, all of which come with that seat-of-the-pants feel and experience through actual real world training with a flight instructor. There are countless things that can go wrong if you don't go through proper flight instruction with both air work and ground classes.

Source(s): airplane pilot since 1995
    • ...Show all comments
    • Sky
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

I would certainly hope so, but then there are a lot of very stupid people in the world. I used to work at a flight school and heard from instructors on more than one occasion about people who thought their computer flight simulator was all they needed to learn how to fly real planes.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Jay M
    Lv 4
    9 months ago

Me personally? Sure I could... but I am a special case that knows about space craft and warp drives along with parachutes on plastic army men.

The plane? probably not

The helicopter? absolutely not

The helicopter that is .25 cents in front of Walmart? LET HER RIP!!!!

• Tom
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Likely not-----You knew a lot about CARS before you drove one also. You need to get a "Feel" for the controls, how much force to apply, what kinds of DELAYS in response to expect., etc.

• Zack
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

If you had a lot of knowledge about planes (ex: the controls and what they do, stall speed, takeoff and landing speed, etc.) and you were to get into a small single engine plane (ex: C-172) on a calm sunny day with little air traffic and then fly around for a short time, you MIGHT be able to takeoff and land safely with no instructor. However:

1. You probably wouldn't be following the proper procedures from takeoff - landing.

2. If a weather issue or plane failure occurred, you would be in trouble.

3. The landing probably won't be great. It might be rough, you might fly over the runway for quite some time before landing, you might fly up and down over the runway, you might not be centered with the runway, etc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 months ago

Most likely you will kill yourself.

• F
      Lv 6
      9 months agoReport

Like 9/11.

• 9 months ago

There have been cases of people piloting to a survivable landing in real life. A woman with zero experience had her pilot husband pass out at altitude. With help from an instructor on the radio, she landed on a runway. Plane was damaged, but she survived. Her husband was dead. Read below about a test run of zero experience (but with a backup pilot on board).

With ILS, FMS, autopilot and auto throttle settings, perhaps even a blind person could land a 777 or an A320 on a large airport runway. Computer systems can take a modern passenger aircraft from departure takeoff to rollout at destination. https://www.wired.com/story/boeing-autonomous-plan...

Source(s): https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlines-airports... My friend, a private pilot, was on his last check ride before first solo flight that same day. As he flared out above runway, his seat collapsed and he fell back into the rear of the 172. The instructor saved them. Turns out someone took out the seat just before, and did not put the bolts back in when replacing it.
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

Just not possible you need hands on experiance only gained whilst taking lessons.

even the pretend pilots such as sky and Rob sticky will agree!

• Robsteriark
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

Why add a cowardly anonymous insult to what would have been a valid answer? You know NOTHING about me other than what I’ve put in my answers. Crawl back under the rock you slithered from!

• 9 months ago

Yes. Living long enough to tell anyone about it, NO.

• 9 months ago

Book learning is good. Hands-on learning is vital.

• 10 months ago

Hate to say this but if "you’ve never flown one" you really DO NOT " know everything about how to operate a plane/helicopter"... how could you possibly?

Source(s): Experience in life.
  • mokrie
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Probably not. You need to learn the proper pressure or touch with the controls. Just knowing about a brake and gas peddle in a car does not make a person know how to use them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.