Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 11 months ago

I took a hard drive out of a computer that fried and put it into another one. But the new only sees a fraction of the files. Anyone ever...?

here of this?

The previous machine was Vista, I believe it was 32 bit.

The new one is Win7, 64 bit.

Not sure if that would cause this as I've never heard anything about it.

Please help.

Thanks!!!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • P
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Assuming you can see the drive chances are the files are either hidden, have some security from the old PC locking up the files you need to remove, or are actually located in a different root folder than you are expecting. You need to have someone else take a look around to see if you are missing something.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

If you're using a SATA connection between the HDD/SSD and mainboard, make sure to use a QUALITY SATA cable between the hard drive and motherboard. If you're using a SATA-to-USB cable, make sure the most recent device drivers have been loaded into the OS before you attempt any data retrieval. Also best to just copy and paste the files over instead of migrating them as this can cause issues if the connection were to time out.

Now, for the missing files, make sure hidden folders are shown and that these are file formats your OS can support.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

The new computer should be able to read the old drive without problems. What's happening is that the old drive is also fried, partially.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.