high school physics long term project?

I am a physics teacher. My school is requiring that we do a long term project. It will be around 3-4 days.

What is a good project that I can do with my students.

One teacher mentioned that he is doing rockets.

What do you all recommend?

How about conservation of energy?

Experiment with pendulums, balls on ramps, elastic collisions, springs, gravity.

• Vaman

Better to build sun dial and try to see date and time of the day. It is very tricky. It is also called as Surya Yantra.

• oubaas

I dare suggest something closer to us : "electric motor systems" on full electric and hybrid cars, highlighting how technology has changed electric machines in the last twenty years !!

You can teach your students to make a suit of chocolate so when they are hungry they can just breaks off pieces of the suit and eat it

• Joe

Does a head-on collision between two cars, each traveling at speed S, produce the same damage as a single car collision with a brick wall at speed 2*S?

Mythbusters did this; perhaps you can find some video. Seems I recall lumps of modeling clay to deform on collision in a measurable way (attached to the front of toy cars), and that they used ramps to impart kinetic energy to the toy cars in a repeatable way, as a function of height.

Very respectable scale model science.

Mythbusters being Mythbusters, they did a full-scale test at the end...