Instead of "common sense," shouldn't it be called "pragmatic/practical sense or intelligence"?

Bcus isn't "common" too weak a word to apply for intelligence/sense that is needed on what is perceived as obvious, practical, mundane/earth-bound for the average person?

Afterall common sense was coined during a time when our understanding of the human mind was extremely limited (i.e. 1700s). Case in point, there was a genius-level musician who had difficulty identifying I believe a pencil and using it because of his extremely complicated thought-processing

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 11 months ago

pragmatism is one possible meaning for the term "common sense", but common sense is simply an old phrase for declaring (with no real backup) that anyone ought to know that. It is actually a bit of a cop-out, a declaration that something is, simply because it ought to be obvious to the average (common) person. Well, we all know how the supposed obvious is often wrong, and we also know that what is right or true is often NOT obvious, so common sense, to me, is not a very meaningful term. And as to commonness of knowledge, well, that is also not so common in actual fact.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.