Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 months ago

Are my parents allowed to not pay me my salary because of a fight?

I work for my parents. They own a business and I do their paperwork and get a monthly salary. I’m 16. Recently we got in a pretty personal fight that I don’t feel like disclosing but I don’t think it should matter. They are threatening to not pay my salary for his month even though I worked during the entire month.

I officially work for them. Like I am in their records and everything and my salary makes an impact on their business taxes and everything.

This is a serious question. Are they legally allowed not to pay me? They didn’t fire me they just decided not to pay me for this month even after I worked part time this entire month.

If they aren’t how can I bring it up? I don’t want to get into another fight because we have never fought before but I need the money for gas and paying them back for my car.

Favorite Answer

If you are officially their employee, then I would say no. It seems that they have only yet threatened to withhold your money, they have not done it yet. If they do, then state that you won't have the full amount to pay them back for the car. I also recommend that you tell them that you may have to get another job, so they would have to train and hire another employee. Who they can not without money ever

Contact your State department of Labor for clarification

Unless you have been reporting the salary as income and paying taxes on it you had better not do anything.

• Edwena

Not as an employee, but they can as a minor. The question really is are you actually an employee. Do you pay the FICA, payroll taxes, insurance, vacation, etc. And, of course, would a regular employee been fired for the same fight. Just be sure that the money they are holding is paying off the money you borrowed. If so, you are being paid. When you gas tank gets that low, tell them and they will probably start paying you again. An apology would help.

What they are doing is completely illegal