Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 11 months ago

If I give my girlfriend's kid a cell phone, can I take it away or would I get into trouble?

I admit it, I'm an idiot. I bought my girlfriend's 12 year old daughter a prepaid cell phone, it was a cheap phone so I didn't think it would be a big deal. I told my girlfriend I was NOT buying an expensive phone until I seen how she handled it so this was supposed to be a trial for 6 months or so. The phone only cost $29 and it's $25 per month for unlimited talk and text.

The problem is the kid has been using the phone to make prank / harassing / threatening calls. I was stupid and created an online account but since her phone is the only and primary phone on the account she can have a code sent to the phone and get into the online account. She then put fictitious information for the name and address. The police talked to a couple of her friends earlier and the police asked about the Google Voice number she was using but nobody knew who's phone number that was. The police told her friends they would be getting a subpoena for the phone information and they would be back.

I'm worried that phone is somehow going to come back to my name and they'll say I'm responsible for it since I purchased and activated it. I purchased the phone and phone card with cash but I activated it online using my computer. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll go after the poor sapp in Warren, NJ who's name she put on the online account but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I'm thinking take the phone away and get rid of it before the police show up.

Favorite Answer

The law says that gifts belong to the person they've been given to. So the phone now belongs to the kid. Only a parent (or school acting in loco parentis) can take property from a child. You're not the kid's parent. By taking the phone away the law would view that you've stolen it.

You need to talk to your gf. SHE can take the phone away.

• Foofa

Unless you're dating an unfit parent this kid's mother will take the phone away. Not sure why this is your problem when this isn't even your child.

• `

Tell your girlfriend to get the phone from her daughter. It's not rocket science.

• Edwena

Call up the cops and tell them the story. You discovered what was going on when you heard about it from her friends. Take the phone away from the kid. The cops will not take the phone. Tell you girlfriend to punish the kid. And call the cops and tell them the story and what is going on. You are probably going to have more problems than a phone. You might want to take a serious look at her friends.