If I give my girlfriend's kid a cell phone, can I take it away or would I get into trouble?

I admit it, I'm an idiot. I bought my girlfriend's 12 year old daughter a prepaid cell phone, it was a cheap phone so I didn't think it would be a big deal. I told my girlfriend I was NOT buying an expensive phone until I seen how she handled it so this was supposed to be a trial for 6 months or so. ... show more I admit it, I'm an idiot. I bought my girlfriend's 12 year old daughter a prepaid cell phone, it was a cheap phone so I didn't think it would be a big deal. I told my girlfriend I was NOT buying an expensive phone until I seen how she handled it so this was supposed to be a trial for 6 months or so. The phone only cost $29 and it's $25 per month for unlimited talk and text.

The problem is the kid has been using the phone to make prank / harassing / threatening calls. I was stupid and created an online account but since her phone is the only and primary phone on the account she can have a code sent to the phone and get into the online account. She then put fictitious information for the name and address. The police talked to a couple of her friends earlier and the police asked about the Google Voice number she was using but nobody knew who's phone number that was. The police told her friends they would be getting a subpoena for the phone information and they would be back.

I'm worried that phone is somehow going to come back to my name and they'll say I'm responsible for it since I purchased and activated it. I purchased the phone and phone card with cash but I activated it online using my computer. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll go after the poor sapp in Warren, NJ who's name she put on the online account but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I'm thinking take the phone away and get rid of it before the police show up.