Rihanna asked in HealthMental Health · 11 months ago

I am married to my rapist?

I was married to my rapist (my father’s cousin) when I was 12 and we have 5 kids together. I went through lots of problems with him because he makes me do stuff with other male relatives and his friends, I am still with him for cultural reasons. Anyways, I started therapy with a trauma psychologist after I was sent to a mental hospital after having manic episodes in public. I was diagnosed with severe anxiety and ptsd. During therapy my therapist keeps giving me stuffed toys and toy figures to hold and touch, and every time I get start talking about the abuse and I start opening up he changes the subject and asks me which toy in the room do you like best, and when I start crying he starts asking me where I got my shoes from or what tv show did you watch, like he doesn’t want to see me shaking and crying. Isn’t therapy supposed to be about me opening up? Also isn’t it weird that he uses toys during therapy? My kids are teenagers and are too old to play with toys, I feel like he treats me like I’m retarded. My doctor told me he’s a perfect fit for me because he’s specialized in ptsd, anxiety and depression and he’s middle eastern/Muslim like me. He has great reviews and sounds smart when he talks but I’m confused.

• `

You've posted this nonsense for a long time and you've never mentioned that you're "married to your rapist." You need consistency if you want to be taken seriously.

therapist fears you opening up too much too quickly. in most cases, you'll hate him and blame him if he gets you to open up. in essence, he fears that if he makes you cry that you'll say he's a bad therapist and leave. he wants you to slowly open up. tell him you're ready for more.

toys are probably meant to bring you to childhood regression. you're supposed to derive comfort from them and feel like a child. he wants you to relive your childhood on the probably false presumption that you had a traumatic childhood before 12 and are stuck at that mental age.

it also sounds like you're probably smart and introspective enough that a therapist really can't do anything more than you can do for yourself without him with a little intestinal fortitude and internet research (although group therapy is always useful for meeting like-minded people and knowing you're not alone - or at least that some other people have it way worse than you). the only thing you need a psychological professional for is diagnosis (mainly for insurance or sometimes for explanatory purposes) and medical management of symptoms.

From what you say someone is trying to help you and you say you know more than he does so how can he help if you don't give him a chance to. It might sound incredible but it might work stranger things have happened.

• Ludwig

Yes he is probably very experienced, don't give up on him.

You must trust your medical professionals even though the therapy he does might seem ineffective and stupid at first. Here is a website about how to deal with PTSD and option 5 is similar to what your doctor is doing. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319824.p... Try asking him about the other options and I wish you best of luk recovering from your condition.