Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 12 months ago

I think my parents are getting a divorce and I’m heartbroken.?

So my mom came home today sadder than usual it seemed and I (to make a long story short) after hearing her crying in her room like hard, I decided to go be nosy and search her phone. (At this point I started worrying about divorce but my parents never fight serious in front of us at least so I assumed this would never happen.) they just get in little arguments hear and there. I searched her phone and found (divorce attorneys cost, and apartments, etc.) I just right there broke inside. I’m so sad right now and can believe this is actually happening. I never thought my parents would be the ones to divorce. My mom asked me an odd question tonight and then followed up with ( is Dad in the basement and is he drinking. He said he was gonna stop drinking in September and start exercising again) I told her I didn’t know although I heard beer bottles downstairs so I knew he was. But he only drinks like 2 beers a night so I’m really surprised this is a problem. (If that’s what it is) I really don’t know what to think. Once you are researching divorce attorneys, is there still a chance a couple can work things out? I’m so hurt right now.

• Kim R

I feel really bad for you because you can't do anything about it. If they won't agree to go to counseling to work out their problems, there really is no other solution than a divorce. I'm sure he is drinking way more than that, by the way. Alcoholics hide it as much as they can and deny it all. Go look in the trash for bottles and count them to see the truth. There may be other issues, too, but if they won't go to counseling, there really is no hope. I'm sorry, and I hope you get through this all right, because you don't deserve the grief.

• Layne

Don't listen to Edna, but I am so sorry to hear of this. Hang in there, they may need yo more than ever.

• Edna

Stop snooping on your mother's phone and stay out of your parents' marriage and their private business. If they decide to get a divorce, they'll tell you so when THEY think you need to know.

This is what happens when you snoop - you find info you are not prepared to find AND now you either admit that you snooped or live with uncertainty. Good luck to your future spouse!

You and your mother are upset over two beers? First, it's not your problem. Second, maybe she should confide in someone her own age.

I see a lot of divorces in my profession. I see a lot of people who come in to discuss divorce, find out the cost, find out how debts and assets will be divided, decide not to divorce. I see people who decide, instead, to go to counselling.

There's no way to know who will and who won't divorce.

White parents are like that. They are selfish. They always put their own selfish happiness over the kids. Tell both of them that they are horrible parents for not sticking together for their children's sake. Tell both of them that they are heartless and full of s h i t.

• Snoopy

Sounds like your mom has come across a homewrecker at work. Maybe visit her at work and try find that homewrecker and get rid of him. Homewreckers are very bad hearted and when you surprise them they show their true colours. He will say something insensitive about you and that will make your mother understand who he really is. Because these people suffer from personality disorders.

• Ana

Your mom sounds like she met another man she wants to fu*ccck and she’s trying to find an excuse to leave your dad, and she’s trying to manipulate you into being OK with it. You should not be OK with that, tell her that you’re not OK with it and that she’s a bad mom if she does it. Because she would be

In answer to your question, yes, there is still a chance they could work things out. But you have no information to suggest that either or both of them want to try and do this. Its a very sad thing for everyone; but, consider this: how much sadder might it be, if they were to continue to be deeply unhappy with one another and yet remain in the marriage. Would you, yourself, wish to live in a home where the parents were unhappy ? You can tell them you are worried and saddened, and ask whether they are determined to divorce or not. You do deserve an answer. Good wishes,

• Janet

Yes this is a sad time.

Not much you can do about it except be open with yourself about your sorrow, but not dwell on it too much.

The thing about life is that nothing lasts .. not even OUR life, actually. Change IS the rule, and we have to learn to relax and accept when we are not able to change what is happening.

Whether or not your parents are able to work things out is undetermined and there is nothing you can do about it.

You neglected to indicate your age. It isn’t really your business. Marriage is an agreement between a man and a woman to start a family and raise children. That is the priority. Not their selfish selves. If you are not 18, YOU should be their priority. 2 beers is not an addiction.