Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 10 months ago

Can I take money out of joint account that I didn’t put in?

My girlfriend and I have a significant joint savings account. During the first 2 years I was contributing large sums of money and we were spending it because she was not working. For the last 5 years she has been saving mostly all of her earnings and now we have accumulated a lot of money. Lately she has been saying how she is not happy with me and would rather be friends. I have been getting the cold shoulder for almost a year and I am thinking about withdrawing the money out of the account and start over. I would leave her with about 5k but the rest I think I can take it and open a planet fitness franchise. Later down the line if I become rich I would likely send her money that I take.

Favorite Answer

You can take it all if you want to and so can she. Do it before she does and leaves you with nothing.

If you both own the account, it belongs to either of you.

What you are contemplating is not just nasty and evil but could land you in prison, as well as being sued in a civil court. She can prove every penny she put into the account. Screw her over and you regret it. Guaranteed. Only a scumbag would do such a thing.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • ricky

Simple, first one to the bank wins.

You ãsshole, you can't just take it out. You have to consult with her. Just because she wants to be friends doesn't mean you can rob her!