Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMen's Health · 12 months ago

Is 5'6 short for a 22 year old guy?

Hello. I am an half-Filipino male in the USA, age 22. I am currently pursuing an career as an PA and an Airline Pilot (later in life). I try to NOT let my "height" get to me. I am pushing myself to be more strict, bold, and aggressive, since I am an introvert, but not as much as when I was younger. I just wanted to know your opinions of being a male and 5'6 in height and more advices to overcome that. I do sometimes tend to intimidate others with my strictness and I enjoy doing so, sometimes, but still.. No rude answers please, or it will by reported, then deleted.

• edward

oh diyos ko. maikli mo ako din kalahati ngunit 6 talampakan ako. napakasama nito, ang pagiging isang piloto ay tulad ng pagmamaneho ng kotse, maaari itong maiakma, naisaalang-alang mo ba ang anumang gawaing aquestrian?

Compared to the modern average then yes.

But you got lots of advantages:

1: you're unlikely to get leg ulcers and blood clots in old age.

2: you're not carrying around a load of extra weight.

3: you won't need to eat massive amounts of food.

4: you're less likely to get cancer (by 30% compared to a tall person!)

5. you won't hit your head so often, nor so hard if you fall.

6: you'll be less affected by overheating and heat exhaustion.

Sounds like it.

• Roddy

That is not short for somebody of Filipino heritage. Don't worry about it as height doesn't really matter, it's how you do your job that matters.

There is one small advantage in being shorter - you can fit into those tighter spaces such as sports cars!

Yep, you're short in the USA. I know this because I'm 5'6" too.

As to pushing yourself...beware...don't become a little Napoleon and over compensate for your lack of stature by being too pushing and arrogant.

You will be discriminated against when it comes to promotions and pay raises because of your lack of height. And short people do not have an equal opportunity law to protect them from discrimination like women, blacks, and seniors do.

Your choice of airline pilot is a good one because in the commercial airlines business promotions and such are based on flight hours and time in seat. Airline pilots don't have to be tall and lanky to become pilots in command some day.

No clue what a PA might be, but why are you waiting to go for airline pilot? Go for it now rather than later; you have a better chance of passing the rigorous pilot flight tests when you are younger rather than older.

Source(s): Retired Naval Aviator.

It's short for any age guy. There's nothing wrong with be short, you fit into small spaces like sports cars and airplane seats. People in the grocery store won't bother you all the time to reach for things on the top shelf. You can't imagine how annoying that gets by the time you're done shopping. There are always going to be advantages and disadvantages no matter if you're short or tall so concentrate on the advantages and you'll be more content.

• Nunya

Height averages do vary per races and per individuals. The height average of an average man in the Philipines is 5'3. So you are taller than the average Filipino man. The height average of an American male is 5'9. (it doesn't specify between the different racial groups in America.) So you are technically in-between.