Travis asked in Social SciencePsychology · 7 months ago

Why do most people accomplish nothing significant in the 80ish years they are alive?

I see most people living day to day with no goals or aspirations to become better. World class athletes, world class musicians, very talented people who accomplish things in life work hard and spend significant numbers of hours dedicated to their craft. And it shows. Professional athletes like lebron james or usain bolt resemble alien beings compared to the average human being who is out of shape, average intellect, and can’t even walk up 10 sets of stairs without being out of breath. PhD astrophysicists make the average human seem like an ant in terms of intelligence. They are leaps and bounds ahead of the normal person who does nothing with their life. We have 24 hours a day for 80 years to accomplish something or be the best in the entire world at a certain craft. And most people squander it and the most important thing they can tell you is their favorite episode of The Simpson’s

Favorite Answer

There are a lot of people who have jobs, so that amounts to something. Also, just being happy in life is an awesome accomplishment that a lot of people can't say for themselves.

Source(s): Common Sense!
  • Lili

Because most people don't have the capacity to do so.

• LP7

It's not "most people".Do a survey and ask old people what they did with their lives.You will be surprised the stories.Interesting yet they think they lived a boring life.It's taking for granted your skills and natural talent.You assume everyone is the same.We're all good at something.Helping others, skilled with their hands, artists,engineeers,mother,father.Don't have to be famous to feel of value and living a full life.Enhance your perspective and nothing is normal.

• rick

To be able to say you accomplished something usually requires recognition. A great many very talented and accomplished people perform at their best every day, and still are never noticed. The Olympics are mostly politics, with most of the winners decided long before the event. Only the actual score is ever in doubt. Many superior athletes are not even invited to try out. As a young violinist, I saw Pearlman and Rabin appearing on TV on the Sullivan show, while I wasn't even having public recitals. I noted that there were a helluva lot more concert violists than there were violin concerts.

There is an obesity epidemic. However there are still a lot of very good athletes you will never hear of. There are a lot of people that spend their days playing on YA. But there are still some extraordinary minds teaching high school and local colleges. Until there is a system to reward all above average people, YOU cant tell the difference.

I'd be willing to bet my left arm that you're young. So someone who spends their life playing a game really adds to the betterment of the human race. Actually, a lot less than their life since most professional athletes are finished around 40 which is half to the lifetime you give them. I suppose all the Nobel laureates are failures compared to Michael Jordan. I'm a vet but I didn't die for my country, but would have so people like you would have the freedom to ridicule all the people who devote their lives to helping others. I also spent a year helping the dying in the slums of Calcutta, and devoted my life to trying to teach. I suppose all that makes my life insignificant. You're right. My life is insignificant. It's insignificant because your heroes like Michael Jordan made more money in playing a "GAME" for less than one hour than I made in my entire life. so I'm worth less to the world than one complete game of basketball played by Michael Jordan.

I suppose the only apology I can offer you, Travis, is to say that what I think is a successful life and what you think is a successful life are extremely different. It's too bad I won't be around when you turn 80 to see what a great success you've made of yours. Good luck! I hope you do. Maybe you can win a gold medal in the world Olympic video game championship! That would really be something significant and really add to the quality of life of the rest of humanity!

It's true. Very few people (except people like top songwriters,

research scientists, top sports people etc etc) actually accomplish anything significant.

However - I think if you have children you have achieved a new life - so that in itself is an accomplishment.

What about us people who don't achieve anything or don't ever have children in life? What have we achieved?? Errr :-((

Fear............🤓

What have you done lately?