Homemade apple pie left on counter for 2 days with indoor temperatures above 80F. Safe to eat?

On Sunday night I made an apple pie. Normally I do not refrigerate fruit pies, and like usual I did leave the remaining pie on the kitchen table covered with wax paper.. I left for work Monday morning, expecting to be back that night. I ended up not arriving home until this evening.

I have read that fruit pies will keep out of the refrigerator for 2 days. But today and yesterday it got above 90F (32C) in the afernoon and has been very humid, so the temperature in my kitchen was much higher than what would normally be though of as "room temperature". Should I eat the remaining pie or not take chances?

yes but eventually it will mold.

there is far too much sugar in them to spoil.

sugar creates an unfriendly environment for bacteria.

I worked at a very high class expensive bakery that used NO preservatives other than natural ones like sugar and they kept pies, unrefrigerated, for 1 week for sale.

After that, it was cut into slices and sold for cheap. they tasted fine.

• Janet

How lucky do you feel?

I wouldn't try it. Better safe than have the s**ts for 5 hours.

It’s probably fine just eat it