How do you make a lime based mortar for stone?

Is there any easy way to make a lime based mortar for a field stone foundation? Maybe it's just me but there seems to be a million vague articles online, but no simple answer. Which may be because it depends on a lot of variables. My field stone foundation seems to be a fair amount of sandstone and maybe granite. I live the the northeast.

My main questions are, what kind of lime do I need, and what kind of sand do I need? Will I need any other additive to mix this other than water?

Simply put, what kind of lime, how much? What kind of sand, how much?

Any special mixing required other than using a mixer and adding the proper amount of water?

Thanks for your time and help all!

Here's the recipe for you.Mix. Traditional lime mortar is a combination of lime putty and aggregate (usually sand). A typical modern lime mortar mix would be 1 part lime putty to 3 parts washed, well graded, sharp sand. Other materials have been used as aggregate instead of sand. You get construction grade lime make a putty out of it and mix 1 part putty to 3 parts sand.

It begs the question why do you want to make lime based mortar.? You can buy white Ordinary Portland cement. If it's in an exposed situation I would add waterproofing liquid to a 3 to 1 soft sand and cement mix. Otherwise 5 to 1 will be fine. The weather where you are will pop out lime mortar with frost like there's no tomorrow. A small cement mixer takes the effort out of mixing. Only add sufficient water to make the mix workable. Too much water will result in weak mortar.

• gerald

you need slaked lime that is lime stone fired to red hot cooled then slaked in water where it becomes a boiling caldron till it calms down and becomes soft it is mixed into a mortar and can be used as plaster by adding horse hair and cow manure as in medieval times , mortar you can add sand but it must me able to breath its not like cement mortar