How do you make a lime based mortar for stone?

Is there any easy way to make a lime based mortar for a field stone foundation? Maybe it's just me but there seems to be a million vague articles online, but no simple answer. Which may be because it depends on a lot of variables. My field stone foundation seems to be a fair amount of sandstone and maybe... show more Is there any easy way to make a lime based mortar for a field stone foundation? Maybe it's just me but there seems to be a million vague articles online, but no simple answer. Which may be because it depends on a lot of variables. My field stone foundation seems to be a fair amount of sandstone and maybe granite. I live the the northeast.

My main questions are, what kind of lime do I need, and what kind of sand do I need? Will I need any other additive to mix this other than water?

Simply put, what kind of lime, how much? What kind of sand, how much?
Any special mixing required other than using a mixer and adding the proper amount of water?

Thanks for your time and help all!