Jack asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 12 months ago

What kind of vacuum comes to your mind when you think of a stereotypical "grandma's vacuum"?

A rake(seeing how grandma had straw on dirt floors)

• elhigh

My grammy predated vacuums, so what comes to mind is a broom.

The old elecrolux canister from the early 50s,,that or the battleship Hoover upright bag.

An old Hoover that was still working perfectly 40 years after she bought it. Unlike any vacuum these days.

My grandma never had one because she never had any carpet so nothing comes to mind.

Her house was linoleum floors through out.

Electrolux canister vacuum, on wheels, drag it around by the the very rigid hose with a four foot stainless steel tube connected to the rug cleaning nozzle. Had a hole in the tube with a plastic sleeve that you could rotate to adjust the suction, or a Hoover upright, moreso the former.

Is this another one of those "canister is better than upright" questions? (Yes, I agree they are) The earliest vacuum I remember was my grandmother's Electrolux model XXX (1937-1954)....the old canister on skids with a cloth bag. . She replaced that with a succession of Hoover "convertable" uprights. (Clearing out the house, we just donated a functioning one from the 60's to Salvation Army) So as for stereotypical, take your pick.

I'm a canister guy. My mom's first vacuum was a Eureka canister. Back in the late 70's, I was a repairman for Electrolux. I even had the opportunity to repair one of their first models (Model V 1924-1927). All it needed was a switch. IMO, uprights are slightly more convenient on carpet...if that's all you have. Canisters are more powerful and versatile.

• Cara

A cylindrical one lying on the floor - yes, Electrolux.

• Edwena

The old canister style vacuum cleaner with the long hose and various brush attachments. Horrible for cleaning floors, OK for upholstery.