Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 6 months ago

PCOS and being on birth control?

So I have PCOS and I want to be sexually active. My periods have now become regular for the most part and I was wondering if I start using birth control, can I still get pregnant since birth control is supposed to help with regulating hormones?

For someone that has PCOS, is it a good idea to get on birth control mainly for the purpose of NOT getting pregnant? I would want to take the pills so that I do NOT get pregnant, but is it useless if I have PCOS?

• MissA
    Favorite Answer

Birth control works to prevent pregnancy whether you take it for preventing pregnancy or because you have PCOS. It doesn't know what your motivations are, it's just medicine.

Taking contraception will prevent pregnancy. Since your ovaries struggle to work properly it's even more effective for you.

I'm not sure what you're really asking - I don't think it's that.

• Black Widow

BC prevents pregnancy. But I have PCOS, so does it still prevent pregnancy, since BC is supposed to balance my hormones and help with my PCOS?

I mainly want to take BC to prevent pregnancy, but my question is is that still effective if I have PCOS?

• Andy C

This is a terrific question for YOUR DOCTOR. If you are over 13yo, you can request confidentiality and they can say nothing to your parents.