Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 12 months ago

What should I do?

So I've lived in my house for more than twenty years (I grew up there BTW). Then these new neighbors moved in who like to smoke cigar in their backyard and in the front daily. They are from Russia. I never go outside of my house anymore because I can't stand the smell of smoking. I am unable to leave my OWN house and go out in my OWN yard because of the smell.I am not a smoker and I know second hand smoking is even more damaging than first hand smoking. I have thought about building a fence but it won't do anything about the smell.

Favorite Answer

A fan, carefully positioned will do the trick. Just make sure you keep it at low volume so that it does not bother them. This will just gently send enough breeze across to make the smoke drift the other way. If you position it so that it is behind where you sit, it will also keep mosquitoes away from you. Smoke keeps them away so you will need to replace that repellent.

By the way, smoke from next door is not a high enough concentration to harm you although it might be unpleasant.

• Ti

A fence will not keep the small out.

They are not breaking any laws or doing anything wrong so there really is nothing you can do about it. They have the right to smoke on their own property.

You have no legal grounds on which to make them stop. So you live with it or sell and move.

Are the homes that close and/or is the wind from the same direction every day? There's nothing you can do about it. It's their property and not against the law.

Sell up and move to the country.

Buy the house, kick them out, and rent to non-smokers.

where they re from is irrelevant. u could ask them to move further from the border with your property. second hand smoke which u inhale inside is damaging to your health. if they smoke outside and not as close to u it just gets mixed with the rest of them car exhaust fumes and plants' pipe fumes. your question by the way was moved by a motherfcker troll into a dining out category together with the rest of them 12 hours questions from business and finance. i moved it back to business and finance once

• Erik

get a sniper rifle

Tricky Question. You could consider first asking them to stop smoking outside, because of your allergies and health issue. If that does not work, you could discuss with a lawyer what to do.