d-Man94 asked in HealthMen's Health · 6 months ago

Moving out of New York. Depressed/excited?

y family and i have decided that New York has just become way too expensive. We all have decent jobs and decent salaries. But its still not cutting it. We still live check to check. We get robbed with property taxes, state taxes, etc. and its getting worse by the year. (We live on the border of Queens and Nassau County Long island, and all these taxes/expenses, its not worth it in this location, its an ordinary location, not worth the high prices). Were all pretty miserable and stressed out with the overall atmosphere. I also have no friends anymore. We grew apart after college. We have come to the decision to move to Broward county, South Florida. We have some family there. Its more to look for financial freedom. And for me, a fresh start in life. Im hoping a change of scenery will help me meet new friends, improve my social life, dig out of this depression and be happy in life.

But im scared. I was born and raised in NY for 27 years. Im scared of being homesick, i dont know how i can handle homesickness. I have lots of memories here in ny. What if I cant handle the extreme heat/humidity? What if what if what if? Im worried. But also extremely pumped about a new start in life!

Any thoughts?

i live in upstate ny.......im too old to relocate, but am sick of liberal, illegal immigrant loving cuomo and his money grabbing policies.

• d-Man946 months agoReport

Couldnt have said it better

Growing up in an area where the air is fresh and clean, there's lots of sunshine, green grass and trees with lots of open spaces. I can't imagine how anyone lives in a big city like NYC let alone affords it. You shouldn't have to work like a dog just to pay for your living space. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how different things can be in a more open and relaxed space. You can always go back to visit when you're craving a NY bagel or a slice.

• balan

You will definitely like your new environment within fifteen days of shifting .You will get better friends who will be more social in nature than Newyorkers Enjoy Regards.

• Andy C

My new next door neighbors are from Queens. We live outside Seartle and the taxes here are almost as bad.

AA has a poignant saying: "An @$$hole gets on a plane in Boston and an @$$hole deplanes in Seattle." The geographic cure doesn't usually work. You bring your problems with you.

Florida is my last choice for where to live, but that's politics. Starting in a new place can be difficult, but it is usually enriching.

I'd move if it were me. As long as you can get a decent job down there.

Yes. It may work out for you. It may not. There's only one way to know for sure...