M asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 6 months ago

Why don't we crack down harder against false rape accusations?

We hear a lot about the Me Too movement and women's rights, which is great. I am all for equal pay and giving rapists actual punishments, not like what happened to Brock Turner.

But false rape accusations also make things very difficult for rape victims. So I think we need to crack down harder.

I think making a false accusation should have a mandatory 10 year prison sentence, and anyone over the age of 13 should be prosecuted like an adult and be required to register as a sex offender for life.

They say that few rape accusations turn out to be false. So what? It doesn't matter how prevalent it is. Whoever does it deserves to suffer for life just like rapists do.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • rick
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I really don't think people realize how damaging and harmful a rape accusation is. The man is usually fired instantaneously. His wife kicks him out and files for divorce. All his friends abandon him. His lawyer often thinks he's probably guilty too, and recommends a plea bargain. When he's exonerated, the damage is done! He can't get a job, or even a decent apartment. His wife and kids hate him. He's got no friends. Every penny he makes for the rest of his life goes to legal fees. Good hard working teachers, often never teach again. Because of a kid telling someone "He forced me".

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

Because feminists would hate that we "Oppress their rights" by doing that even tho it has happened to almost every politician because these woman think that just because they are woman and dont like the politician they can pull the "Rape card" to cause a massive mess lol

• Cee
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Anyone who is proven of lying of being raped deserves jail time.

• 6 months ago

double standards. can't punish women. Therefore, the crime doesn't even have a real name on the books.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Rape has a 1% conviction rate. There are very few false rape accusations, and there are no people in prison from false accusations. Hell I can prove to more real rape victims who've been _charged with making false accusations_ who falsely confessed to lying, but the rapes were real and on video, than you can find me any man rotting in prison from a woman who lied. The only people falsely in prison are black men who were misidentified in real rapes by mistaken eyewitnesses (re: the cross-racial effect). There is nothing to "crack down" on. People who keep talking about this are secretly just rape apologists muddying the waters.

Source(s): edit: Even in cases like ChemFlunky says-- I can give you a real case where a woman confessed to making up a rape and was charged and convicted of fraud BUT THE RAPE WAS REAL, on video, and there was a mountain of evidence discovered later in the home of a serial rapist. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/why-was-a-rape-v... Your very bad idea makes everything worse for rape victims and makes it easier for rapists to get away. It's already incredibly easy.
    • ...Show all comments
    • WaldoBC
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

Also, it is too bad you believe in the myth of the infamous 2% figure. It was fabricated by Susan Brownmiller. Obviously, I disagree with the 2% figure. You went even lower.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Harsh sentences do not work as a deterrent.

proving that a rape took place is hard, proving that it didn't is even harder

We don't want to discourage reporting of actual rapes, nor punish actual victims

• ...Show all comments
    • WaldoBC
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

You can't always count on other people's morals. It's the fear of repercussion that stops most crime and/or violence.

• 6 months ago

Here's the thing.

You know how hard it is to prove rape? Especially in cases of, eg, date rape, you know how hard it is to prove to any reasonable standard of evidence that whatever sex occurred wasn't consensual, especially in cases where the rape wasn't violent (eg if he wasn't rough, just didn't take no for an answer, and she was too scared to fight back)?

Well, it would be twice as hard to prove that not only was an accusation of rape truly false (barring cases where, eg, no sex occurred between the parties), but that it was intentionally and maliciously false, rather than being a matter of, eg, mistaken identity, or mental illness.

Also, as far as I'm aware, false accusations of any other crime--theft, say--are not prosecuted to anything even remotely like that degree.

But I would agree to something like this:

An intentionally false rape accusation that goes beyond making a false report to the police (that is, one where it actually goes to trial or whatever) would be a serious misdemeanor, worth up to a year in jail, depending in part on how far the accusation goes (eg whether or not the alleged rapist was convicted). Further, any such conviction can be used as evidence in the defendant's favor if the same alleged victim makes any further rape accusations.

But by intentionally false, I generally mean cases where either no sex of any kind occurred, or the sex that occurred was with someone else, that the alleged victim could not reasonably have mistaken for the alleged perpetrator. Or, at a very minimum, cases where the alleged perpetrator can pretty solidly prove that the sex was, indeed, entirely consensual (eg texts or chat logs both before and after the alleged rape indicating a positive response), rather than the alleged victim simply being unable to prove that it wasn't.

And, with a slightly lower standard of proof, those falsely accused of rape should be able to sue for damages, if they can reasonably prove that their accuser did so maliciously rather than out of genuine error.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Rapists don't even get 5 years. Many get probation.

So why in the hell would false accusers get more?

• Fusion
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

One reason is because often when people are falsely convicted of rape they won't be released from prison before the woman comes out and says that she made the whole thing up.

If doing that would mean that the woman would go to prison herself then she wouldn't come out with it and the people falsely imprisoned would remain in prison.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Because radical feminazis wouldn’t allow it. What pisses me of from this feminazis is that they never ever go after the real scumbags in fact many of the times they admire these scumbags

• 6 months ago

If somebody knowingly and willingly makes a false allegation of rape, s/he should incur the same punishment the accused would have suffered if convicted.

Of course, this will be as hard to prove in court as rape is. But that's beside the point.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.