Should I talk to the kids who sit alone at lunch?

Hi i’m a 16 year old female, junior in high school. I find it very hard to trust people after some things that went down the past year with family and then also with friends I thought I could trust forever. I’ve adopted a new identity as a loner. I’m quite comfortable with it. I feel safer and more productive. My... show more Hi i’m a 16 year old female, junior in high school. I find it very hard to trust people after some things that went down the past year with family and then also with friends I thought I could trust forever. I’ve adopted a new identity as a loner. I’m quite comfortable with it. I feel safer and more productive. My priorities are exactly where I want them to be. I’m focused on school and my sport. I still have acquaintances but nobody is really personally close to me. However, at lunch I often look around the cafeteria and see several kids eating alone. I want to talk to them sometimes, because everyone could use a friend, right? All I do is give to others and even though right now I’ve built a wall, I still have the desire to give. I know sometimes my loneliness can feel dark. I don’t want anybody else to feel like that. Especially the new freshmen or transfer students, I want them to feel included. Should I just go up to these kids and sit with them somedays? Get to know them maybe? Everyone is valuable to me and in our society I’m worried people might feel unfit like I often feel. Everyone deeply wishes to be connected right? We are social creatures to the core.
7 answers 7