Can you get into an Ivy League school like Harvard, Standford, or Yale without taking AP classes?

Say you have grades in the high nineties, a high SAT score and lots of volunteer experience/extracurricular that show your focus and what you'll specifically bring to their school. However, you weren't able to take AP classes because, well for me, they weren't available at any schools except for one private school in your city that you couldn't afford. We couldn't even take out a loan because my mother is a single parent of four who is still paying off her schooling.

If you had all good things on your application, except for AP classes, is there still a chance for you to get into the Ivy League. Or would it be a waste of time to apply?

Update: Sorry, I meant Stanford. I have been notified it is not an ivy. However, it is a hard school to get into so it goes along with the general idea of my question.

Another thing to add, I am from Southern Ontario! :)

Favorite Answer

Most schools are going to look at the rigor of your classes compared to what is offered at your school. You can't take AP classes if they are not given (and they are not going to say that you could have gone to private school). So if you have what you describe you should have a fairly good chance of getting in. Honestly, if you are from a school where almost no one applies to the Ivy school that would actually help your chances. They like a broad spectrum of students, so they are not just going to take students from large schools that take 19 AP classes.

Yes. Not all schools offer AP classes. You do have to write an acceptable entrance essay and get high scores on the ACT and SAT. Also important are interests and extra curricular activities. They dont want an entire student body of valedictorians. And they make an effort to take students from all states, not just the East coast area.

Many people now use the term "ivy league" just to mean top-tier universities. There are many universities in the US that are ranked very highly, but are not in the Ivy League (which is an athletic conference). You need to apply to a range of schools. start by looking at the state universities in your state--some, like University of Virginia, University of North Carolina, UCLA and Berkeley are ranked very high and are inexpensive for residents of their states. Other state universities may not be ranked as highly, but are still well regarded. A smart person these days is going to want to go to graduate school. Once you do that, no one really cares about where you did your undergraduate work. So go to a good school that makes you a good financial aid offer, and then apply to top notch graduate schools.

• lia11 months agoReport

I live in Canada actually, but thanks for the advice :)

You probably cannot compete with an applicant pool almost exclusively of class valedictorians with SATs over 1500, exceptional achievements in & out of the classroom, and then less than 10% - as few as 5% - get accepted. Choose a more affordable option instead of looking at schools that can cost $75,000-100,000/year. You really cannot afford to waste so much as application fees!

• lia11 months agoReport

I heard that some of these schools have really good financial aid?

yes. there is still a chance. your SAT score had best be pushing toward the highest

In your situation, no, you would not need to take AP classes.

Ivy leagues and colleges in general look at your coursework in the context of your school. I'm a senior at Cornell and knew many people on the admissions team. You will not be penalized for not taking AP classes.

Based on what you say here, you should apply. Also, Stanford is not an ivy league school. The ivy league includes Cornell, Dartmouth, Brown, Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, and UPenn.

• lia11 months agoReport

My mistake, sorry! I haven't looked into Stanford that much yet, thus my lack of knowledge lol

• MS

They aren't going to penalize you for not taking AP classes that aren't offered. They will look at the classes you did take, and will expect to see that you challenged yourself and excelled in them. So if you take the most advanced courses available to you and do well, that will look good to them.

FWIW, Stanford (no "d" in the middle) is not an Ivy League school. But it is still very prestigious and selective.

• MS

No need to apologize - it was just an FYI. It is an excellent school, and very hard to get into. So it certainly fits in with those others you mentioned.

• drip

If they were not available at your high school, you won’t be penalized for not taking what isn’t offered. Not all public schools offer them. Some only offer one or two subjects. They are not going to expect a student to go to a private school they can’t afford just to be able to take AP classes