Am I able to keep my WA state residency while living permanently in GA, and while being a member in the WA Army National Guard?

I currently reside in Georgia (on active duty orders) and possess a Washington state residency (legal WA driver's license as I am from Washington). I am also in the Washington Army National Guard, but would like to live in the state of Georgia while still possessing my WA residency for tax purposes (WA has no state income tax). Is this possible or would I have to become a Georgia resident?

You only get the exemption for ACTIVE duty. IE: You are a Washington resident assigned to Georgia. You can not live in Georgia full time and claim an exemption because you are still in the WA Guard. You might want to check on that because WA may not be OK with you not living in the state. Just how are they going to call you up if they have a disaster with you living across the USA? You might want to change to the GA Guard.

• Mrsjvb

only while on AD orders in GA. after that, since you will be residing permanently( your own words) you will be required to make the switch to GA residency.

also what are the Income tax laws in GA? some states will tax any income earned in that state, military orders or not( I am talking to you, California)

while on active duty, its possible

after that, you would have to be a GA resident

If you are on active duty orders you can maintain your WA residency.

• Jenny

No.................