do any people speak latin fluently?

The Vatican City State. This is an independent country. And Latin is the official language. The ATMs will print in latin.

All Roman Catholic priests know Latin.

Source(s): Raised in Roman Catholic church

I don't know any such person, who is alive.

• Benny

Yes, they do.............

Latin is still the official language of the Catholic church and they still issue documents in it. If there are people capable of writing it, I'm sure they're capable of speaking it. The problem of using it extensively in the modern world is that since the end of the 18th century no one other than the church uses it (many scholarly texts used to be written in Latin to overcome having to translate the texts into other European languages) and they ban the addition of any new words, making actually having a modern discussion in the language pretty much impossible.

There are Latin enthusiasts but there are no native speakers of Latin anywhere -- which is why Latin is considered a dead language.

• Zirp

languages don't require native speakers to be alive

• ?

I doubt it. Where would anyone speak it and who to?

• Zirp

Apparently there are a few, yes.

The language itself is rather limited though, since the Catholic Church has decreed that no new words can be added to it.

Source(s): Had some Latin in school, never spoke it. Got fluent in Esperanto though

Some people do, classical scholars for a start, but not as many as once did. Latin was well enough known in the Catholic Church in the 1960s for the plenary sessions of the Second Vatican Council to be conducted in Latin. Queen Elizabeth I spoke Latin and Greek and also had French and Spanish.

• Jon

Only a few hard-core enthusiasts. I understand that there are a lot of them in Finland.

• bluebellbkk

I hope it still has, Zirp! I remember thinking 'How wonderful!' when I first heard about it some years ago.