Should I pay to replace my entire catalytic converter, or just weld it?

About 2ish weeks ago, I started hearing a really loud noise coming from my car (Nissan Sentra 2011) that got even louder when I accelerated. In more recent days, I’ve also had a problem where my RPM fluctuates, and one one while driving my car started to jerk forward and act as if I was pumping the brakes, so I had to pull off the road. I had it checked out by my mechanic, who said my dual converter system was rotting off. They said it’d be about $1,200 to fix. I am a teenager working minimum wage and paying on car payments and car insurance, so needless to say this is a lot for me to pay. I took it to a different mechanic some family friends recommended and they told me that if it was only a specific piece of the catalytic converter rotting off, they could just cut it off and weld a new piece on for $40-80. The whole converter looks rusty, though. Should I just replace the entire thing or just pay the $40-80!? How reliable is this? Thank you.

If it's the flex pipe before the converters i'd have a new one welded in. You can't afford replacing everything anyways so go the cheaper route.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • jordan9 months agoReport

I have family who would be willing to help loan me money for it, the only issue is I’d owe them the money and have to pay them back. I just want to know which is more reliable. Thank you.

take the cat converter right off

• Erik

If you're lucky, you can repair just the one piece, and it will be OK. That's what I would do. If you need the entire thing repaired, I'm sure the second mechanic can give you a better price. $1200 isn't outrageous for a catalytic converter, but it can be done cheaper (mine was 475, and I live in CA).

For $40 to $80, what do you have to lose?

Have the rusted out section of the pipe replaced. If the actual converter body is pitted though, it needs to all be replaced.

• jordan9 months agoReport

What do you mean by pitted? And it is reliable to just have a small piece welded on?