Do I need to transfer my title if I want to get my car registered in another state?


My Indiana plate has expired and I just moved to Chicago. I want to know whether I need to transfer my car title to Illinois in order to get my car registered in Illinois?

7 Answers

  • May
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

    Yes of course you do Pork Chop.

    They walk among us....

  • Edna
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    Your Title to your car follows you to any state you move to - your Title is your proof of ownership..The Title doesn't change unless you sell the car. If your Title is in your name in Indiana, it will still be in your name in Illinois.

    You're confusing a Title with Registration - they are not the same. "Registering" a car with the State basically means "getting license plates" and paying the State registration fee. You'll have to Register your car with the State of Illinois and you'll be given Illinois license plates when you do so.

  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

    Go to DMV with your old plates and all your paperwork for the, registration, and present it on the desk. They will tell you "where to go" because DMV is getting out of the insurance biz. But they will take your old metal plates and bin them and issue you new plates and do up the paperwork. Hell, you don't even have to speak English. Just shove the stuff in front of them and they will process their part...that they are responsible to do...and charge you for the new plates and registration(that is the same for every state) and will tell you if you got to go somewhere else for insurance. Which you must do before you can drive the car so you bussed into town, RIGHT? Or hitched a ride. Or took a taxi. Your car sits in your yard inside the fenceline as that is your property. Not the road in front of your house as that is public road, or TOW TRUCK TERRITORY.

    Your car can only be parked on the road if it has plates.&registration.

  • 4 months ago


  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • g
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    Yes you do!

    Now the you have established Illinois residency you need to transfer title, obtain vehicle registration, and insure your vehicle in the state of Illinois. All this must be done within 30 days of establishing residency.

  • Ron
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    You won't have a choice.

  • 4 months ago

    yes .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.