Robin
Robin asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 9 months ago

i have been invited to shoot a double rifle in 577 NE but I only weigh 140 lbs What will the recoil be like?

Favorite Answer

Shoot offhand (standing) with the stock firmly into your shoulder "pocket." Unweight your forward leg as you begin to fire so your body begins to rock forward, off your back leg. Don't worry; your weight will rock back onto your back leg soon enough. Your grip on the forend is critical. HeII, EVERYthing is critical! Just shoot it.

I use an accessory kick-eeze slip-on recoil pad ... a nice thick soft one ... when shooting these beasts. The pad costs about $40 if your host doesn't have one. It would be a nice gift for him if he doesn't. Worth every penny.

I have a short 2-bore single barrel, a front-feeder, and the recoil can be fierce or mild, depending on the load. When loaded as it was intended, I decline to shoot it except in cannon configuration. Fredrich Selous had a muzzle-loading 2-bore double rifle, a shoulder-fired gun he named "Baby." He refused to shoot it, saving the honor of unloading the thing for his safari helpers. The story goes than none of them ever fired it twice.

Hard. Go with the recoil, flex with it.

BIG! Large!!. It is around 7000 foot pounds of energy. That is more than double a 30-06. You might try firing that first to get an idea of what you can handle. If you do decide to do it. Stand up and be ready to take a step back.

• Sandra K

Recoil is a product of the rifle's weight, bullet weight and bullet velocity. The recoil of a .577 NE is over 6 times as much as a .30-06, not just twice. Surely you can find formulas for calculating recoil on the internet.

Recoil is 6.23 times as much as that of .30-06.

Smile and decline politely.

What you weigh will not change the recoil of the rifle, only your ability to manage the recoil. It'll hurt.

With the rifle, it will be an experience. Held firmly to the shoulder maybe nothing you couldn't handle, but som lingering sore is certain.

A heavy gun so holding it up may be like an 8 year old with a full size shotgun.

I passed on the 500 and 700 NE handguns just for their nasty recoil, and simply not consider the small revolver .50 BMG.

I shoot the .50 BMG rifle, quite a sock but 20 rounds and only mild discomfort.

If you are that curious, just do it, but you know it is coming.

First rifle I ever shot was dads 12 Ga, like 'WOW' but nothing I couldn't handle for 7YO.

>>>I see my hateful troll is just going to follow me around for a TD,,what a coward.

• JOHN B

280 lbs. I personally have not done anything to deserve that kind of punishment, if given the same invitation. I also don't put Ghost Peppers on my food for the same reason.

That IS a BIG bore Rifle and this cartridge certainly has a TON of "steam". YES, I know I have rifles that hurt to fire them. HA ! Actually tears in your eyes for the second try, because you KNOW this is gonna hurt. You know if you have this offer, you really should try it. One should always be open to try new things, otherwise how do you know ? Then you can come back and tell us as an authority who has ACTUAL experience.

* Just my suggestion. Shoot it OFF HAND. That is standing up. Hold the rifle like a shotgun.BUTT tight against your shoulder BUT not bearing down so hard your crunched up on the stock, that can make it hurt before you even fire.

** Use PROPER technique. Put your weight on your front foot, this way the recoil only shifts your entire body weight and not so hard on just your shoulder. Trigger hand arm elbow UP parallel with the ground. Forehand arm also elbow up as comfortable. Squeeze the rifle back against your shoulder. Then Squeeze the trigger.

A thinking owner of such a gun, MAY do a demonstration for you. May hand you the rifle UNLOADED just to show you how badly you hunch. DO NOT let the rifle intimidate you until you know the result for yourself. Being afraid of the rifle is a good way for it to hurt you.

Just have fun, I bet cha most here would do it. Myself included.

• Adam D

Fun? I like guns with big recoil.

What have you shot? That would be the only way we could provide you a reference point. And my answer, like many others I suspect, would be based solely on the numbers - there just aren't that many opportunities to shoot guns like a .577 NE.

On paper, it'll have about 10x the recoil of a .30-30, 5x or 6x that of a .30-06.

But you have to do it, when would you ever get the opportunity to try it again? You're probably only going to shoot it once, at $10+ per round.

EDIT: My numbers come from Chuck Hawks, link to felt-recoil table below. Notice where the .577 is on the list...