Can my employer make me do something that’s not in my job description?

Can my employer make me be on camera when that’s now what I agreed upon when taking the job? I feel really uncomfortable being on camera “doing interview segments” and I get all weird and nervous and it’s just not my thing. I think my employer will assign me this but will I be able to explain that I don’t feel comfortable being on camera without being fired?

Most "job descriptions" will include something along the lines of "and any other duties required".

Read your's.

• Janet

I'll bet that if you revisit the written job description, at the end it will read "... and other duties as required". This is almost ALWAYS included, meaning that your job is to do whatever the boss needs you to do (as long as it is legal).

Certainly, you can try explaining to your boss that you have anxiety issues and won't be coherent if on camera. Give them the opportunity to reconsider. But if, instead, you just dig your heels in and refuse it, you are endangering your standing at work.

No they cannot force you to do it. But they can replace you if you refuse.

Job descriptions and assignments are up to the discretion of the employer.

• Sam

They cant make you do anything. They also dont need to keep you employed there since you are paid to do a job they ask.

They can not force you to do anything.

However, they can fire you if you don't.

• KaleyK

To provide an accurate answer, we will need to know your jurisdiction. However, in general, the answer is YES, your employer can require duties outside the position description that relate to the stated mission of your position. For example, a janitor's position description perhaps doesn't state "take the trash to the dumpster" but that duty is related to the mission of the position. In your case, your employer is not asking you to do anything at all, so doubtful you have a valid complaint.

Yes they can.....

Do you have a specific detailed employment contract ?

No he can’t for real if it’s not in your contract