How do you handle when job asks you to come in on a day off?

I work full hours 5 days a week at a retail company. I have been here for a year and a half. Sometimes when they set my schedule, they have changed my days off a few times without asking me if I have made plans that day. Recently though, they have been calling me on my days off to come in. Today I said no even though they were short staffed because I had plans.

How do you handle when a job calls you on your days off?

Favorite Answer

I simply reply to my boss and tell her I’m not available. I keep it short and sweet. She does not need to know the details about my plans or what I’m doing. I have no obligation to work on my days off, and that’s the way it is.

• Edna

Wny not just check Caller ID and not answer the phone when you know it's your boss calling on your day off?

i just ignore the call and continue hitting my bong :)

• edward

Just straight up say no although it’s very difficult for me to do because when they call me on a day off to come in it’s time and a half and a paid day off anywhere else. If i am on holidays and they call me i know they’re really desperate because it’s double time and the paid day off anywhere else, they make saying no so hard because the deal they offer is so sweet

• g

I'm either available or I'm not. That's how it works.

i would just go in and be thankful you have a job, wish i did

If you are called into work on a day off, you are entitled to double time and a half which starts when you leave home and does not end until you get home. That means you get two and a half hours pay for each hour you work and travel time. You are also entitled to a meal allowance and a taxi in each direction from home to work and back again. That was the award when I was working and it still operates.

That applied if I was given less than 24 hours notice. If my roster was changed with less than a week's notice but more than 24 hours, all hours worked outside my previous rostered hours were at overtime rates, time and a half for the first four hours, double time after that. So If I was rostered on from Wednesday to Sunday from 9 to 5 and they changed it so I was working Monday to Friday, I would get overtime rates for the Monday and Tuesday if I had less than a week's notice of the change.

If I was called in on a day off, I was required to go to work unless I was ill (doctor's certificate required) or was incapable of working (being drunk was a possible excuse). The simplest thing to do if I had something important planned for a day off was not to answer the phone.

• drip

Not in retail,, they are not entitle to time and a half, that is only if you are working over 40 hours for the week. And you always have the option to say no I can’t come in.

• WUWR

The way I see it if you want the hours, get them. If not, even though you shouldn't have to, I would say that "I have plans that can't be moved" or something like that. Whether you should have to come up with an excuse or not under the rules of fairness, it just feels like a better answer than "I'm sorry, but I'm not scheduled and just don't want to work today." You could also just duck the calls and say "sorry, I missed the call and didn't realize it until it was too late."

• drip

All that is needed it sorry no I can come in. You certainly would not say I don’t want to work today,

• denise

Your'e not obliged to go into work, I have in the past on bank holidays but only on the proviso that I was paid Double time or at least Time and a half.

In the past when we were short staffed, we just had to do more work in the time alloted [they did'nt like to give us overtime!].

So if I was called in on my day off now, they can Whistle!!

If I don't want to work, I don't answer the phone.