If you could move anywhere in the United States and we're military retired? Living off of 40K a year where would you move and why?

Favorite Answer

Well, given that my wife and I burn through $100K a year but could live off $25K if retired (as long as we don't have a house payment), I say you have tons of options. Where I'd go would depend entirely on the weather. On my personal short list would be Gainesville, FL, the area around Asheville/Hendersonville, NC, outside Memphis, TN, and Fr. Worth, TX. If you like cold weather (I don't), there are even more viable options for you available. Maine is killer, some parts of Utah are great, and even some smaller towns in Colorado would work for this.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • RICK

Come join us retirees in central Texas, low cost of living mild winters but summers hot as hades

Easy access to Ft Hood for commissary, exchange and ID service. Plus we use Ft Hood pharmacy for our medicine

Wife and I live in Waco, once every 3 months drive the 72 miles to Ft Hood to refill prescriptions and make a commissary run

• Foofa

You might be more comfortable in a place that has a military ethos so perhaps look for places near bases for the branch you served in. You'll definitely need to avoid the more expensive cities, but small towns and the interior of country would be doable for you.

• Lisa A

Kansas, Nebraska, etc. Somewhere around there. You need a low cost of living area.

IF you are US military retired, and can maintain benefits such as shopping at base facilities, medical facilities (eg. pick one of the better-rated VA hospitals, although apparently all have been undergoing upgrades over the past 2 yrs or so), you'll want to live in a lower-cost state and near a base. Florida has no state income tax, and homestead exemption, but costs there are rather high. TX has no state income tax, lower cost of living. AZ is popular with retirees.

If you have family, you likely don't want to be too far from them. Hence, you might choose NC, SC instead of AZ, NV, or vice versa. But you absolutely need to live in a lower-cost area of US on such an income. You must avoid West Coast, MA, CT, NY, NJ, and similar very high-cost, high-tax jurisdictions.

• Foofa

Why would anyone give this a thumbs down? It makes perfect sense.

With a pension of $40K you need to choose somewhere with a lower cost of living and near a military base with facilities (BX/PX, commissary, hospital, etc.) you can use. There are places all over the USA like that so it depends on what climate you want.

I would not move. Because I do not want to.

New Hampshire. .

i really liked upstate ny , i had more friends there

• Foofa

Median household income in Buffalo is 33K. So if he goes to the far north he could live in NY State.

• .

Assuming you're healthy, and don't require certain weather conditions, I would pick somewhere near your friends and family.