Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 6 months ago

What should I do about this compulsive liar?

He always lies about anything and everything. He told me that his great great great grandmother lived to be 150 years old. He also told me he was in a traveling band with one of his high school friends. He recently graduated but tells me about his ex-wife and how horrible she was. He told me how he beat up a homophobe in Walmart. He when in school he dropped out of JROTC and still had his uniform. Every once and a while he would put it on, wear sunglasses in the building, and a Bluetooth ear piece and tell people what to do. He would lie about people and say things and try and spread roomers about people. He would lie and was way overly dramatic. He would have a coughing fit and act like he was dying. He also would bring his fathers ashes with him and open it up and show everyone. He claimed his probably ten dollar leather coat from like the 1980s he said was $600. What should I do about him.

Favorite Answer

i'd say, "That might make a good basis for a short story. Why don't you write it up and submit it for publication?" Then change the subject. No sense getting into an argument about it. He knows the difference between truth and fantasy, and if he doesn't, you don't have to buy into it.

I used to know someone who was a compulsive liar, it's a psychological disorder

• ricky

He’s insecure, and seeks attention, and approval. The mature thing to do would be to find someone else to hang with, or help the guy out by telling him that you recognize that he is at the very least, exaggerating the truth. And that it’s not necessary for him to do that, in order to get your approval. He needs to find something that makes him more confident, that he’s a good person. Best way to do that, is to volunteer to help someone else. It’s impossible to help someone else, without helping yourself.

just dont hang out with him if hes just going to lie all the time

If it were me I wouldn't be around to hear them--this person needs psychological help---but probably won't get it....

I used to be a compulsive liar but with the help of President Obama, Matt Damon, and the Queen of England I got over it.

• donnie

Ignore his lies. Do not give them any attention. If you entertain his lies then he will keep doing it.