The car dealership is trying to screw me over!?

I bought a brand new 2018 Nissan Sentra from the Nissan dealership last year and I still have warranty on the vehicle. While driving my dad to this doctor's appointment, he pointed out that my front right wheel sounds really loud on the highway. After he pointed that out, I started to notice squeaking noises coming from that same wheel whenever I turn slow to park the car. I went to Nissan and scheduled an appointment to get it checked out. 10 hours before my appointment, while trying to park my car, something broke and I was no longer able to steer the right wheel. Both wheels were going opposite directions. I took the car to Nissan and they said that I need a new steering rack, tie rod, and control arm. They said that its not covered under my warranty because it looks like I had some sort of impact causing it to break and now they want to charge me $2800 to fix it! I told them that my vehicle was never involved in any sort of impact and that I'm not going to go to my insurance company for this because this was not cased by any sort of accident. They told me that they will show me where it shows signs of impact when they open tomorrow, but I KNOW my car was never involved in an accident! I AM THE ONLY PERSON TO EVER DRIVE MY VEHICLE! I really need help on what to do here. I don't want to take this to my insurance and I don't want to pay $2800 to get this fixed. the car only has $26,000 miles on it. This should not be happening.

THERE ARE NO SIGNS OF DAMAGE ON THE EXTERIOR OF THE CAR!!! IT STILL LOOKS FRESH OFF THE LINE!

Get a specialist like another dealer to look at it.

• zipper

Go to another dealer and have them check it out, or a private mechanic. They may of done the damage when they took the car off the car carrier and hoped that they could nail you with it later on. Good Luck, bad jocy buying Jap junk!

No way that would fail under normal circumstances. Someone hit something with it.

The exterior of your car doesn't have to show any damage for there to be damage to the steering system. Take photos of the damage the dealer shows you then get a second opinion. There's just one small thing that doesn't make sense. You said (when it broke) that the front wheels where pointing in opposite directions and then you took the car to the dealer. Not possible unless you had a tow truck take it there.

For a 2018 vehicle to have the sort of problems you describe there has to be a reason the steering came apart. Who drove the car besides you?!

Normal wear is not the cause here.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Dort

If they hold fast that the damage was caused by a collision, it's understandable why they don't to pay. You may have to get Nissan corporate involved and potentially, have it inspected by a 3rd party mechanic and be prepared to go to small claims court.

< THERE ARE NO SIGNS OF DAMAGE ON THE EXTERIOR OF THE CAR!!! >

If you hit a sufficiently big pothole, it wouldn't result in exterior damage but they will wouldn't have to cover it under warranty.

< I don't want to take this to my insurance >

Which they would only cover if you admitted it was from a collision.

Your best course of action is to immediately contact an attorney. And let your attorney handle it.

Ask them to send you photos of the damage, then you can send to someone else to see if what they see is true.

My first thought was maybe you hit a big rock or ran over something in the road (as that might cause damage to the internal components, but not the exterior).

Have you considered the possibility that your car was hit while it was parked somewhere and you never noticed? If that's the case, and the dealership shows you evidence of impact in the area of the mechanic damage then you should file a claim against your comprehensive insurance coverage (comprehensive covers damage to the vehicle while its parked).

If the car is financed you are required to carry comprehensive insurance coverage. If the car is paid in full and you opted not to pay for this protection then you get to pay for the repair out of pocket because that's the risk you choose to take when you own a car without carrying comprehensive insurance. You could theoretically sue the person who hit you if you could somehow find them and prove it was them.

If the impact was from something like driving off a curb, hitting a pothole too hard etc then you might have a claim against your collision coverage. Hitting a curb is not really any different than hitting a telephone pole or any other object, if you hit it so hard it damaged the car and it was your own fault then it would be covered under collision coverage, which again you are required to carry if the car is financed.

• arther

but if it has marks from hitting something its been in an accident?