Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 6 months ago

Car went into neutral while driving now won’t start. What’s up?

I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata.

Basically this guy merged into my lane which caused me to brake to avoid hitting him. My dog accidentally hit my gear shift and it went into neutral without me realizing it. I revved up to about 7000 RPMs and realized I wasn’t accelerating because I was in N.

A whole bunch of lights came on the dash and I pulled over to turn off the car. Now it won’t start. Jumps don’t work. Lights and radio still works.

I got it towed to the shop and they said it was a blown motor??? How the ****? I’m at a bad spot in my life at this point and this car makes my life much easier..

I haven’t really thought anything thru because I can’t think right now.

Someone please tell me what is up with my car and give me some damn hope for god’s sake. Thanks guys and please.

Yes friend when your car got knocked into neutral the engine revved up wildly out of control and it destroyed itself. If you have comprehensive and collision. You might be able to file a claim your dog collided with a part of your vehicle which caused the destruction of the engine! You might need to see a lawyer about this one. Because they're going to try to wiggle out of it. But if you have comprehensive and collision. It is technically a collision if your dog collides with a part of your car that causes the destruction of your engine. So see a lawyer quickly if you have comprehensive and collision.

The rev limiter won't let your engine rev past the redline, so you didn't hurt the engine whatever speed it revved. The dog hit the shifter and probably broke the linkage. Fixing that won't be so expensive. Whatever panicked conversation you had on the phone led the mechanic to think your engine was fried. It is not blown.

You realize its illegal in all 50 states to drive with an unrestrained dog in the car where it can get to the driver and/or controls - right?

The dog is legally required to be in a kennel or in the back seat or cargo area with physical restraint of some kind to prevent this from happening.

As for your car, I haven't seen it. All I know is that you say you revved it way beyond the red line in neutral and that the mechanic who actually did look at your car says the motor is blown. There's nothing I can say online that is going to change these facts. You should probably ask the mechanic to tell you more about specifically what diagnostic tests they performed and what specific malfunctions they found which they described as a "blown motor" - if you have paid them for a diagnostic evaluation they owe you this information.

• Geo

You revved it to 7,000 RPMs???? 4,000 RPMs and no acceleration should tell you something's wrong. Call yourself stupid.

You are at a shop. They say the engine is blown. You can get them to explain further but there it is. Be glad you and the DOG are okay.