promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Rebecca asked in PetsCats · 10 months ago

My cat does his business in the litter box but won't actually go inside the litter box.?

My cat will stand on the side and do his business over the edge. It actually is inside the litterbox but it's all clumped right up front and becomes a huge hassle when cleaning. He didn't use to do this and I haven't changed his litter so I'm just confused.

Could it be a medical reason?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Maybe get a bigger litter box?

I'd rule that out first.

Perhaps he just no longer likes the size of his current litter box.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 months ago

it might be that the box is too small for him--or he might be fussy--I had big boy who would straddle the edge of the pan and pee in the corner--toes never hit the litter...lol

• audrey
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

My cat is huge and she stands with her 2 front feet out and her back end in most of the time. Don't worry about it.

• Teva
    Lv 5
    10 months ago

Would you go in? Get a catflap.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

Yes, it could be a medical reason. Sometimes cats associate being in a little box with pain (due to UTI or other causes), so they avoid it. It might also be the type of litter, the general environment, or the litter box itself. Territorial behavior can also be a factor if you have multiple cats.

I'd rule out medical causes and then start changing things up with the litter and the box.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.