promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 9 months ago

This might be a little confusing but my great great grandfather married his great great great aunt. What does this make us, 4th cousins?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

Your question is confusing. It is easier to number your ancestors, "5th great-grandmother" instead of writing out all of those "greats." A relationship chart might make it easier to figure out.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

It is confusing all right. The first confusion is that your question reads as though your great-great-grandfather married his OWN great-great-great aunt! However, I deduce that what you were trying to say was that your great-great-grandfather married the great-great-great-aunt of someone you know.

This could be a trick question: if your g-g-grandfather married this lady but they had no children together, and you are descended from another (previous or subsequent) wife, you are not related to this person at all.

However, if this lady was your ancestress, she is your own g-g-grandmother and the sister of one of his great-great-grandparents. In which case, you and this person must share a pair of great-great-great-grandparents, which makes you fourth cousins.

• Sharon
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

you phrased this confusingly--it reads that your gg grandfather married his own ggg aunt. If you mean your gg grandfather married someone else's ggg aunt, please clear this up, as you could then be very remote relatives

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Nothing......marriage of his x great aunt/your x great grandfather doesn't make you related at all

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 months ago

I have no clue what you are trying to say because this question doesn't make any sense

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.