Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 6 months ago

Great grandmother had polish last name Polanski but was born in Austrian along with her parents but all spoke Russian? She was born in 1897?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

My Grandpa was the same!! The borders shift back then Thank you for this

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

The Austro-Hungarian empire included portions of what are today eleven other countries, including part of the Ukraine where Russian was spoken. The name Polanski may indicate that your ancestors at one time lived in Poland, but you'd have to research that yourself to find out. Here's a map of the Austro-Hungarian empire: https://www.google.com/search?q=austro+hungarian+e...

• 6 months ago

That is all very nice, what is the question, if it is the nationality of your Great Grandmother - she is a Pole born in Austria, who happened to speak Russian, but I doubt that. Most people born in Austria spoke German and if they were ethnically Polish they spoke Polish,

• 6 months ago

Okay, that sounds pretty normal for NE Europe in the late 19th century. What was going to be your question?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Thanks for sharing, but this is a A&Q site and you have not asked a question, just made a statement

• 6 months ago

Is this a question or a statement?

• 6 months ago

Likely the family was a refugee family from Poland.

• 6 months ago

She was born in an Austrian along with her parents? Wow. I've heard of mutations but this is wild.

• 6 months ago

Try Ancestry.com. Polanski looks like a slang word for "Polish."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.