Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingGrade-Schooler · 9 months ago

My son is very lazy?

So, I have a son (late elementary age) who seems to be very sluggish. He struggles in every subject in school and his work habits are poor (I have to tell him several times to do his homework before he actually does it). His performance is very sluggish and he takes too many breaks, plus he got all Cs on his final report card last year. He acts like he doesn t care about school at all (he says he does, but doesn t show it). At home, he spends a lot of his time on the computer. He also lacks hygiene and I often have to tell him to brush/floss his teeth, cut his nails, and wash more areas of his body when bathing. He often complains of back pain and wants to sit/lay down most of the time (probably because he doesn t exercise enough). He s told me ridiculous stuff like he wishes there were portable sinks that I could bring to his bed so that he could brush his teeth laying down instead of standing up. He will complain and argue with me whenever it s time for him to work (he s respectful and well behaved, but struggles big time when it comes to working/being active). He says he understands the importance of school and taking care of his body, but doesn t show it. Laziness is not acceptable to me and I believe he can do better than this.

What would you do if you had a child in this situation?

Favorite Answer

Wow okay, you might find this as “unacceptable laziness”, but speaking as someone who’s been in a similar situation before, constantly telling him you believe he can do better and that you know he’s not trying his best will only discourage him. He may not be doing his best in actuality, but if his judgement really is clouded by something else, he likely believes that he’s doing the best he can. Not to mention that children and teens nowadays are given much more schoolwork, higher expectations, and are generally 10X more stressed in general. Just let him know you’re proud of what he’s doing now, even if you’re not. It might seem like it’ll justify his performance in his mind, but if he sees you’re pleased by performance he himself isn’t proud of, he’ll likely try to gain that praise again in the future by working harder.

I would take them to the doctor. They wouls snap out of it since mmost children hate to be checked up.

You may want to consider taking your son to his dr for a thorough physical exam.

Since he's "very sluggish" you'll want to rule out any medical problems that could be contributing to his low energy level.

Even though it's frustrating, rather than point out all of his faults, praise his efforts and positive attributes ( he's respectful and well behaved). Focusing on more of the positives than negatives, especially with children is motivational for them.

Meet with his teachers to come up with a mutual plan to help your son be more successful.

Take care,

SM, Counselor

Boys Town National Hotline

1-800-448-3000

What's your source?

Www.parenting.org

Grab a spoon, my dad does it and I immediately do what he says

Well first of all you need to start taking his screen time away until he does his homework. For example tell him that before he watches tv or does anything that involves electronics, he needs to do his homework. As for hygiene well I'd let him learn this lesson on his own, after all once he realizes that the other kids don't want to play with him because of his hygiene he'll start taking showers. Also are there any extracurricular activities he enjoys, if so then I'd recommend putting him in some of these activities if you can afford them so that he's not sitting around doing nothing. If this is a case where he needs help with his homework then you should definitely help him as best as you can but don't help him with every problem that he's having with his homework.

Sounds like learning differences. Also, low muscle tone, which could help in pinpointing what’s going on. Definitely ask the school about testing.

Toddlers will probably act out in this type of way at times , it's probably just part of growing up ... not much to worry about quite yet .

Ask the school to evaluate him for learning differences. He may have dyslexia or something else. Take him to the doctor to see about his back pain and to get advice.

What do you do to HELP with his homework? To model proper hygiene? What did the doctor say about his back pain?

What consequences does he get when he does things like not come to you with his homework when it's time?

He’s young every kid goes through the same thing he’s normal! And since he’s slow that means he’ll must likely be popular in high school! Lol