Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 6 months ago

ERROR IN MY TAXES AFTER FILING BANKRUPCY.....?

I was about to file bankruptcy and they requested my 2 year tax returns..am a self employed driver. I released my accountant made several errors and dedecubles which are wrong. 2016 2017 and 2018...never checked them all I knew was just to pay what I owe..in filling for bankrupcy my monthly income is way more that my adjusted gross income on my tax returns..thus on my tax returns i make less but on the forms i filled with the bankruptcy i made more..should i continue with the bankruptcy using this tax returns or do i amend the tax returns all the way from 2016 before filling bankruptcy..am confused please help

• Eva

Talk to your accountant first. It sounds like you may not have taken into account business expenses and/or depreciation when you filed your bankruptcy papers.

• Tavy

Get another Accountant, one who knows what they are doing, before you file anything.

• P

The very specific details matter. Who knows if you are interpreting things correctly. Honestly I would generally trust the accountant filing the correct information from what you gave him more than your interpretation of it. There's likely reasons he filed things that way you may not fully understand. Until you understand why things were filed that way you shouldn't assume it was a mistake. Regardless you are getting in way over your head. Assuming you are unwilling to hire a lawyer you would at least need to pay an accountant to look over this mess. You need to be careful amending returns since you could end up owing the IRS a ton of money, be charged with tax fraud and bankruptcy won't save you from them.