How would you respond to in-laws? Would you feel smothered?

We spend time with in-laws typically once a week. Last time we saw them, my spouse told their mother that we were having friends over for dinner. She "jokingly" said "oh so they can come over but we're not invited". In-laws have come over several times but lately we go over to their place... show more We spend time with in-laws typically once a week. Last time we saw them, my spouse told their mother that we were having friends over for dinner. She "jokingly" said "oh so they can come over but we're not invited".

In-laws have come over several times but lately we go over to their place because mother mobility issues and we live a couple of stories up.
Update: When she came over, she expressed she had leg pain. When we made plans for her to come over another time, she said she's not up for it because the stairs look 30k feet high. Both understandable, that's why we go over to her home. Considering the stairs dilemma and we see her every week, that... show more When she came over, she expressed she had leg pain. When we made plans for her to come over another time, she said she's not up for it because the stairs look 30k feet high. Both understandable, that's why we go over to her home. Considering the stairs dilemma and we see her every week, that "joke" seems like it's an issue that we're spending time with other people besides her. When we mentioned we wanted to go to Europe, she said in all seriousness, "don't go without me". Thoughts?
9 answers 9