“That wasn’t intended to disparage you”: acceptable apology for an insult?

One of my (perhaps former) friend sends unsolicited political emails to a group of people. The latest one included false and disparaging statements about a political leader (for allegedly saying things that are wrong) and included a summary: “Well, she is a graduate of X University!” (meaning that its graduates... show more One of my (perhaps former) friend sends unsolicited political emails to a group of people. The latest one included false and disparaging statements about a political leader (for allegedly saying things that are wrong) and included a summary: “Well, she is a graduate of X University!” (meaning that its graduates are morons).

I graduated from X University.

I emailed back and said, “Sounds like I should have gone to Y University to stay on your good side- hope your week is going well!” (Y University is where the politician’s bitter rival went, and my friend supports the rival.)

My friend replied, “That wasn’t intended to disparage you.”

Is that an apology? Is it an acceptable apology? I think not.

X University is near the top of the US News rankings; I’m not a moron and my classmates aren’t either.

Thanks.