Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 9 months ago

“That wasn’t intended to disparage you”: acceptable apology for an insult?

One of my (perhaps former) friend sends unsolicited political emails to a group of people. The latest one included false and disparaging statements about a political leader (for allegedly saying things that are wrong) and included a summary: “Well, she is a graduate of X University!” (meaning that its graduates are morons).

I graduated from X University.

I emailed back and said, “Sounds like I should have gone to Y University to stay on your good side- hope your week is going well!” (Y University is where the politician’s bitter rival went, and my friend supports the rival.)

My friend replied, “That wasn’t intended to disparage you.”

Is that an apology? Is it an acceptable apology? I think not.

X University is near the top of the US News rankings; I’m not a moron and my classmates aren’t either.

Thanks.

• Foofa

If you and this friend are unwise enough to delve into politics, yeah, this didn't need to happen and should be quickly resolved with an apology. Chances are great that politics don't have any real influence over your daily lives and hanging on the words of elected officials and candidates is no more reverent to most people than what Kim Kardashian had for breakfast. This sudden obsession with politics, largely by people who don't have understand the basics of how government functions, is just a ploy to get us to all be fighting each other instead of paying attention to the gross corruption all politicians are up to.

no-that was not an apology--it was a lame excuse--tell your friend it is inappropriate to spam people with political opinions--that you would like to be taken off that particular list. I am not sure why people have forgotten the rules of etiquette these days when it comes to politics---but that particular rule is to prevent garbage like this!

Since you'd only take the remark as an insult if you thought the person about whom the email was written was, in fact, a moron, AND only if the sender pointed you out as another example, I'm not sure why you'd be upset. Yes, it is an acceptable apology.

I think the bigger issue is that your "friend" sent political messages to people (such as yourself) who found them offensive. Being offended is always a choice. Choose to be offended or not. Choose to accept the apology or don't. Choose to end the friendship or don't.

• East9 months agoReport

This isn’t worth losing sleep over but it’s 2 friends who clearly aren’t on the same page.

depends on who you say it to

• `

She might've forgotten that you graduated from "X University" when she said it. Take it as an apology and move on.

That's one of those passive-aggressive apologies.

Keep your dignity and your sanity and send them one of these:

Still don't get it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Cogito

Again?

Look - forget it. Let it go. It was a casual remark.

It's not worth thinking about.