If I complete 30 credit hours in a community college would I be considered a sophomore in a 4 year upon transfer?

Title says it all. I graduate high school a semester early and would like to utilize both spring and summer semesters. I know the credits will transfer. Thanks for the help in advance

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

First issue is whether the school operates on a quarter system or semesters, if you want to know if 30 hours is 1/4 of the total required for a degree, check the policies of that school.

• 4 months ago

Generally speaking..........you need 64 credits for an AA and 128 for a bachelors.......

so, 30 is actually 2 shy of true Sophmore status.

• 4 months ago

If all of your CC credits transfer, you'd most likely be considered a sophomore transfer. In all honestly doesn't matter to other students. Your class standing is only relevant in terms of your progress towards graduation. At a university, you'll likely be in classes with students of various classes and ages based on whether the course is an elective, a prerequisite for majors, or an upper division course.

• MS
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

As long as the credits do transfer to the 4-year school, then yes - 30 credit hours would almost always be considered sophomore status.

Source(s): University professor
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Squid
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Every university has their own policy. Most will give you sophomore status if you have more than 30 credits transferred in from any accredited college or university. But it depends on your specific program.

The good news is, each school has it on their website. For instance, here's ASU where you only need 25 credits for sophomore standing: https://catalog.asu.edu/retention_standing

• 4 months ago

You need to check the catalog of the school your are going to. Some have accelerated sessions during the summer and you can complete a full semester class in 8 weeks.

• cosmo
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

It entirely depends on the college you are transferring to. You need to discuss that with college admissions, they will be glad to help.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.