Merlin asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

Is overbreeding a dog animal cruelty?

My parents bought a golden retriever a few years ago, about a year ago we bred here and she had nine beautiful, healthy puppies. Much to my surprise, they bred her again the very next time she can into heat, which is way too soon. She had a few complications, but ended up having six healthy puppies. They promised me they were not going to Breed her again. But I know now they are planning to breed her the next time she comes into heat. This is obviously unethical and she is being overbred. I’m only fifteen, is there away I can stop them, can she be taken away for animal cruelty. I love her so much, she is my best friend, but I would rather her be with someone else than be with us and unhealthy and unhappy.

Yeah. Duh........

Overbreeding is not good for the dog!!!!! She can get an infection in her uterus called Pyometra. There are 2 types - open and closed. Look this up or talk to the vet about this.

I had a young dog that got Pyometra and if not for someone telling me about it ( I had 2 young children at the time) and them suggesting I take her to the vet - she could have died. I took her to the vet and she had to be spayed!!!!!

The puppies can end up languishing in shelters, waiting to be put to sleep. Yes, it is cruel. This is a key factor in why BYBers are looked down upon.

It is a highly irresponsible and selfish thing to do, especially just a earn a quick buck.

• TK

Actually doing two back to back litters is healthier than putting years between litters. Most breeders think hard before doing a third litter on a btch, because it shouldn't be done on her next estrus (heat). I've seen problems with the third litter more often than not. Ask your parents to have her checked by her vet before breeding again. You said their was a problem in the second pregnancy, and you don't want to see it happen again.

It is irresponsible and unethical but (by law) not illegal since nobody keeps up with how many times a female dog has litters or how often. Please note she had LESS PUPPIES in the second litter, and that is a common OUTCOME of breeding back to back litters - where the female cannot get a chance to REST and RECOVER.

All ETHICAL and responsible breeders let at LEAST one heat cycle pass, where she is NOT BRED, before breeding a female again. The more litters she has, and the more often she is bred (esp if back to back to back) the GREATER the likelihood of COMPLICATIONS, death of the mother and/or some puppies, and often, the smaller the number of pups in the litter produced and the LOWER THE BIRTH weights - making survival - LESS LIKELY.

Any vet can tell all of you that, if they can be bothered to take her in for a health exam & to ask questions before breeding again - but you can also GOOGLE this information.

Of course, truly reputable breeders do a series of health screening tests on the mother & father of any litter, LONG before breeding to make sure they are INDEED healthy - since Goldens have so many genetically passed along..... health problems.

It is unethical.. But it is not illegal. You have no recourse to have the dog taken away.

There is a difference between laws and ethics and they do not always go hand in hand.

As long as the dog has adequate shelter, food, water and vet care.. And is kept in reasonably sanitary conditions, and not purposefully injured or harmed, it is not considered abuse or neglect by law.

Ethical breeding would include showing and health testing a dog before breeding.. But there are no laws that require anyone to do this.

Making laws that restrict people from breeding their pets is a pandora's box that would make it all too easy for AR terrorists to use laws against those who are aiming to breed healthy, quality dogs... Soon all you'd be left with is bybs who dont care about laws... Such laws would be a double edged sword.

Thats why we aim to educate people on selecting reputable breeders.. In hopes that they will take their business to someone who's goal is to produce healthy animals.

As a child there is nothing you can do.

I have no use for backyard breeders. Having said that, my niece was in a bad financial place and bred her dog twice (to successive heats) because she felt she made a few dollars on the puppies.

My niece's daughter, who was 14 at the time, made a deal - she would babysit and give the money to my niece to replace the "puppy money" if my niece would STOP BREEDING THE DOG.

My niece cried and cried and had the dog neutered, got a part-time job.

My niece's daughter is going to be a stabilizing influence in the world of animals.

Breeding a dog is cruel since there are millions being killed each year. We don't need more dogs

Your parents are BYBers, scum, trash. They care nothing for the dog at all and only see it as a way to make money by churning out ill bred mutt puppies that have NO monetary worth at all and never vaccinate them and never spay or neuter since BYBers don't care about the animals

But since you are a child you can't and dont own the dog and there's nothing you can do

Disgusting Backyard Breeders (BYBers). You never breed a dog back to back like that. BYBers do not care about the pups. They want as much of you money as they can get. lying, scamming, cheating, will say 'anything' to get you to buy their junk puppies. BYBers ruin every breed they can get their hands on. No genetic testing, no selective breeding, most don't get the Vet care they need. This is what BYBers do, it is very typical of a BYBer.

What most people don't know that the dogs produced by BYBers are the very same dogs that fill up all the pounds, shelters & rescues. A pup just like your can be adopted for as little as $5, & they are charging how much for each pup. Ripping off the general public cause they don't know about BYBers. They don't know the difference between a reputable breeder & a BYBer.

BYBers & Puppy Mills do this all the time. they try to get at least 5 liters out of the bitches before they retire them at the age of 5 yrs. Poor little bitches suffer & suffer & the breeders do not care. Anything to get your money.

Yes, it is animal cruelty but the laws we have on the books are not being enforced. I would like to be the one who shuts these breeder down.

• Star_of_Darkness

more ill bred mutts, they are not only worthless, they will be put down or dumped in shelters to be put down. Doodle mutts are not healthier at all, they are very unhealthy