Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 6 months ago

Can one's Philosophy be considered a Delusion?

I've always thought solipsism was a delusion...

But that's beside the point. Take Psychopaths for example. They can *probably* be boiled down to hedonistic nihilists.

I'm asking because I know of someone with a Twisted Philosophy on Other Minds. But, he is Transcendentally Impervious to Insanity...so...he's "sane", so to speak.

Favorite Answer

There must be something that is “True”. Everyone has their beliefs and opinions on matters but these beliefs have no effect on what is actually True.

In that sense, ones philosophy can certainly be a delusion, usually under the guise “truth is relative”. That said, there are certainly several layers of truth as there are layers of an onion, so truth can be relative to the level of magnification.

You’re not going to talk someone out of a delusion, but you can perhaps go beyond their level of magnification and see things from a higher point of view to see a broader picture.

I hope you understand what I’m trying to say as this might be quite confusing.

• peter m

More truthful than any "fake type news" John !

I view the philosophy of any given individual as a form of autobiography that chronicles that person's memories and interpretations thereof. I include all "real" philosophers in this description. NONE of these folks have "the answer" - rather they have an answer that fits with the context of their lives and their intellect. I DO NOT look to any given philosopher for an understanding of MY life.

• j153e

Perhaps most philosophies are considered somewhat delusional, aka incorrect, by other philosophies.

One way to deal with a philosophy is to match its assumptions and conclusions to atomic reality.

Likewise, C. S. Lewis noted that the thinking or statements of Christ Jesus were either correct, or delusional.

The problem of other minds is an interesting one, and your question gives no further particulars. Capitalization of "Twisted" is an ad hominem begging of the question, and may even indicate ad hominem tu quoque.

You are confusing what a Philosophy is

• peter m

advice ?