Will I get denied for a pistol permit with an arrest record?

I live in Syracuse, NY and I ve wanted to apply for years now. I m just looking to get a sportsman s permit, not a concealed carry or anything like that. The only problem is I have a few things on my record. About 10 years ago I was arrested for shoplifting and let go on a conditional discharge because while we were in court, the other offender admitted I didn t have anything to do with it. When I was 15 I got picked up for misdemeanor Arson and did community service. I also did community service when I was 13 or 14 for trespassing and criminal mischief. Luckily I was never charged with any felonies and basically got a slap on the hand. I m just looking for some input as to whether or not you think these arrests will get my application denied. Thank you.

I shoot for sport. I live in NYS. I am not required to have a license.

Are you asking about a pistol or something else?

You need no permit to own a pistol, anywhere. Sportsman's permit is only for hunting, and a pistol usually not legal for hunting. A few old misdemeanors wont bar you. Only misd. that could is domestic violence.

Try to get record expunged. or, set-aside if it is old. Better than worrying about them. A set aside doesn't remove but will make it harder to see without a court order. Potential employers, cops, Dept of Fish & Game will see that a judge ruled it inconsequential, a point in your favor.

Why do ya think a gun permit is even required? Syracuse ain't NYC. You're mixing apples and oranges. Ya see, a hunting licence is from the Dept. of Game and Fish and it's for HUNTING, including bow hunting. Ya see, a bow ain't no firearm, cuz it don't, like, fire. You gonna deer hunt with a snub-nose .38? Quite the sportsman you are not. Corn-fused you are.

Source(s): Yoda.

An arrest record is not considered when they take your background check it's your criminal history how many felonies have you been convicted of how many violent crimes have you been convicted of if you have felonies and violent crimes that you have committed that will keep you from getting a gun put simply being charged with misdemeanors won't keep you from getting a gun. What it will do against you though is if you get a gun it's going to appear on your police transcript and if you ever get arrested or stopped by the police it's going to pop up that this person has a gun registered to them which is going to increase the level of danger. In other words yesterday you were a shoplifter after you get a gun you'll be an armed shoplifter. And when you get pulled over the police will be more cautious and more likely to draw their weapons on you. Because they know that you have one.

with what you did i doubt it will stop you from getting a gun but new York has different gun laws so it might not be like every other state.