My car recently broke down on the side of the road and was towed. I was unable to get my car back.?

The tow company sent letters to the lien holder, they never received a response back so they auctioned off the car.. Am I still responsible for making payments on a car I no longer have? Or can the finance company sue me?

• Athena

Yes as you own that money to the FINANCE Company.

The Finance Company can take you to collections, which I have a feeling is old hat to you.

Why did the towing company contact your lien holder? Most liens are for when the car is sold, not repaired.

Check your insurance. There might be a clause to preclude it. If not. yes, you still owe. Best in this case to face your financier , come to an agreement. Bring all paperwork.

EDIT: Make sure tower followed the law, too. You might want to talk to free legal aide. If they did not cross all tees and dot all i's, sue the tower, first. My car was illegally towed; it had been legally parked. I fought over the tow fee, storage fee ( 24 hours later, $150.) I had to file against the cops, in my case., Tower was just following orders.

It takes 30 days after they tow your car to be able to sell it. you're definitely going to be responsible for paying for the car! If the towing company sold your car without following the proper steps you can sue them for the amount that you owed on the vehicle. But in all likelihood they follow the proper legal steps. And you're going to be left owing the money to the people that you were supposed to pay.

• JetDoc

If you want legal advice, go talk to a lawyer.

You remain responsible for the car payments until the issue is completely resolved. Yes, the finance company can and probably will sue you unless you can pay off the balance of the loan right away.

Why was you unable to get the car back?

"Am I still responsible for making payments on a car I no longer have?" Yes you are. The fact that you lost your car due to your inaction is not the finance companies problem.

"Or can the finance company sue me? If you fail to make the payments, yes they can.

yes , you still owe the money . if you don't pay it off your credit rating goes down