Is this a decent first PC gaming rig?

Building my own. So far I am at about $825 for the following

-Intel i5-9400F 2.9GHz

-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 6GB

- 8GB DDR4

-120GB SSD

-1TB HDD

- Case

Best Answer

Sounds decent. Try to make the RAM 16GB as that'll be the first bottleneck. The CPU should be adequate. Make sure you have a 550W PSU or bigger. If you can get a bigger SSD it'll definately be of benefit. Games tend to take up a lot of storage space and running them off the HDD will defeat the purpose of the SSD. I'd say a 480GB SSD and 16GB RAM would be sufficient. The CPU and GPU are good too.

• MIKE3 months agoReport

Cool thanks Shadow! Do you think with 16 GB of RAM that this PC should be good for 3-4 years before I have to do major upgrades?

I'm at $100 less with the same build, but I don't have a 2tb storage drive selected either.

You can run Windows 10 without a product key but there will be a watermark and you'll lack customizations like changing the background screen.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KkDPbX

• Nowadays I wouldn't build a PC with less than 16GB. Will add little to the cost. Get GOOD RAM (high speed, but not the highest because that is too expensive, from an above-average quality manufacturer).

Agree with Shadow regarding the SSD, but of course that might exceed your budget.