Why did my sister and I sound so awful singing my heart will go on?

We entered the end of summer talent show and we decided to try to sing my heart will go on with an instrumental backing track. We got last place because people said we sounded awful, we would run out of steam on long phrases and had issues where on the loud high belted part the judges said we were yelling and not... show more We entered the end of summer talent show and we decided to try to sing my heart will go on with an instrumental backing track.

We got last place because people said we sounded awful, we would run out of steam on long phrases and had issues where on the loud high belted part the judges said we were yelling and not actually singing.

I got a sore throat after it and was hoarse the following day? The also said that we were off time with each other and sounded caucophonous? What can we do to sound better?

We chose my heart will go on because we thought it is an easy song, it must be really easy if it is so often sung?

What should we do?