Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 6 months ago

What does “court” mean here?

So the context is about a university housing. They mention names of different neighborhoods that have housing. But after the names of these neighborhoods they put “courts”.

Example: the neighborhoods name is A, they write it as A courts. I couldn’t understand what courts mean here, neighborhood? Or square? Or what?

Thanks a lot in advance.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

"Court" in this context means a street that ends in a turnaround area, i.e., a circular area at a dead end large enough to turn a car around and to drive back out. The main point of the name is that you can't expect to drive down the street and come out at an intersection with another street; the only way that you can get out is to turn around and go back the way you came. If they're using the term for entire neighborhoods and not just streets I would assume that it means neighborhoods in which there are only dead end streets as described above. If you're not familiar with the term "dead end" it means a point a which whatever you're talking about- in this case, a street- ends and goes no farther.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

In this context I believe it means a group of buildings for student housing that is clearly separate from another group of similar buildings.

You said that they call them 'A Courts'. Are you sure? Don't you mean 'A Court' - singular?

Each group of housing is probably self-contained, so that students living in B Court aren't supposed to use the facilities (kitchens, laundry machines, study rooms) of Court A or Court C.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Court surely has many meanings.

A court, as used to describe a street, has one way to get into and out of the enclosed area. You must go out the same way that you came in. There is not a "through" avenue.

In a way, it means enclosed. Like a basketball court or a tennis court.

• MARK
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The word 'Court' is just one of many ways in which a street can be named. If the actual name is A then it is possible to call it A Avenue, A Boulevard, A Court, A Gardens, A Road, A Square, A Street, A Terrace, etc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

A small open area. Like a park.

• Iam
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Without more context it means [loosely] a collection of buildings which may or may not be arranged around a "courtyard"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.