Buy my leased Jeep?

Ok just hear me out. I have a decent job but I have been lusting over Jeep wranglers since I was about 15. Well few weeks ago I got up the courage to go to the dealership. After crunching numbers I couldn’t comfortably afford the monthly payments if I bought it financed as the one I chose was 40k. Well we ran... show more Ok just hear me out. I have a decent job but I have been lusting over Jeep wranglers since I was about 15. Well few weeks ago I got up the courage to go to the dealership. After crunching numbers I couldn’t comfortably afford the monthly payments if I bought it financed as the one I chose was 40k. Well we ran numbers to lease it and I am for a little over $400 a month. After 4 years my lease will be up. The estimated residual value will be $21k. Say the vehicle is still really good and nothing has happened where I have a huge family at that time and I decide to buy it. Just how dumb of an idea is it? I’m thinking it’s not because the lease payments won’t be wasted as they technically went “toward the car”.
13 answers 13