Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 12 months ago

Am I pregnant? When should I take a test?

On July 31st, my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex - he says that he ejaculated a small amount inside me. I’m on birth control, but recently found out that it’s less effective for preventing pregnancy. This birth control also made it so I didn’t have a period, so I haven’t menstruated in over a year. Anyway, on June 10th I started spotting and spotted for 3 days with cramps like a light period and my boobs/nipples were sensitive to touch. I was also overly tired and bloated. I’ve taken multiple pregnancy test the last couple weeks and they’ve come back negative... am I taking them too early or am I not pregnant? I don’t know when I would have my period so I’ve been winging taking the test. Should I wait another week to see if HCG levels are high enough or am I just stressing over nothing? I stopped taking my BC just to be safe, too.

If that was the only time you had sex - then when it has been 21 days after that date, then a test WILL BE ACCURATE.

When you have sex, the shortest time frame for a positive test is about ten days if the test is very, very sensitive and if conception happened on the day of sex.

If conception happened a few days after sex (possible since sperm can live for up to about five days) then the latest time frame for test is about 21 days. At 21 days after sex, if the test is still negative then you are not pregnant from that day of sex.

Even a low dose birth control pill works as BIRTH CONTROL if you are USING IT AS DIRECTED. The only time you would need to worry about not being protected is if you miss a pill or do something that makes the pill less effective.

Find the information for your pill and read it.

• Edna

If you're on the birth control pill, you were NOT having unprotected sex on July 31.

You were silly, if you stopped taking your birth control pills. The birth control pill is one of the most effective forms of birth control there is - it's 99.9% effective at preventing pregnancy. The birth control pill prevents ovulation from ever happening (whether you have a period or whether you don't). Because you never ovulate, you can't get pregnant - not even if he "comes" inside you. n

The 1% failure rate happens when a woman "forgets" to take some of her pills, or stops taking them. Oh, wait! -- you've already done that! Better start taking them again, if you wish to continue having sex and not get pregnant.

"Negative" tests over the last several weeks since July 31 mean you're NOT pregnant.

• Tulip

Negative means not pregnant moron

< I’ve taken multiple pregnancy test the last couple weeks and they’ve come back negative >

The last couple of weeks means starting about August 5th.

August 5th is way too early to get an effective test

August 17th (yesterday) is 2 weeks plus, you're getting into the range of potentially getting an accurate reading.

You need to wait another week. It's way too early to be getting pregnancy symptoms, my thoughts are you are way overthinking this. If you are using the birth control as directly and assuming it's the pill, IUD or similar method, it's very unlikely that you are pregnant.

The pill stops you ovulating so not pregnant and certainly not if you had 3 days of spotting

What does "less effective" mean?

• Pippin

Less effective than what? They can't sell birth control if it doesn't have the effectiveness rating listed int he package info.

If you last had sex 3 weeks ago, a test would be accurate.

But no idea what was 'safe' about stopping your birth control. If you don't want to be pregnant and are sexually active, it's SAFE to use contraception.